• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Divider Material?

Sonny Disposition

I've seen references to "egg crate" sold at Home Depot, to set under the gravel as a scaffolding for rock piles and for use as a tank divider.

Which section of the store would I find this stuff in? What's it's non fish use. (I'm not what you would call handy around the house.)

maddog10

Members
It is back in the lighting section. Usually comes in 2' x 4' sheets. Sometimes you can find broken pieces that they will sell to you very cheap (or even give to you for free).

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Actually I have also seen it in black and the black is very nice. Francine is right though, stay away from the metallic coated stuff.

George

animicrazy

Members
I heard that a material referred to as "egg crate" can be used to separate fish for spawning that would otherwise kill each other, also for intro purposes - any info on this use???

Paul.

Sonny Disposition

Yeah, Paul, it's the same stuff. You can use it as a tank divider to separate spawning fish, or bury it under the gravel, to provide support for heavy rocks.

Thanks everyone. That was really helpful.

I heard that a material referred to as "egg crate" can be used to separate fish for spawning that would otherwise kill each other, also for intro purposes - any info on this use???

Paul.[/b]

DeeCee

Members
Yep, egg crate is great stuff. Definitely use the plastic & not metal though!
Paul, I never used it during breeding as I was only spawning discus and didn't want the male seperate, but I have used it before for introductions, etc. And of course, for those times I'd come home with a fish I didn't have tank space for yet! Now how did that happen? :wacko:

A buddy of mine used some plexiglass. The thinest one available and just cut it to the tank. These work pretty good, however, you do need to run filters on both sides. Thanks.

Sonny Disposition

Thanks, James. I found some egg crate at Home Depot. It works great.

A buddy of mine used some plexiglass. The thinest one available and just cut it to the tank. These work pretty good, however, you do need to run filters on both sides. Thanks.[/b]

marge618

CCA member
Yep, egg crate is great stuff. Definitely use the plastic & not metal though!
Paul, I never used it during breeding as I was only spawning discus and didn't want the male seperate, but I have used it before for introductions, etc. And of course, for those times I'd come home with a fish I didn't have tank space for yet! Now how did that happen? :wacko:[/b]

Egg crate. I've read about this material in other sources. None ever really explained what it was...lighting diffuser at Home Depot...get black..only use the plastic material..use under rocks and as tank dividers. Whew! Now I know more than I expected.

So..I'll get some. Can I still get another tank?

Sonny Disposition

If you want to find something out, just as the hobbyists. They know more than the experts. I'm glad for the forum.

<div class='quotemain'>Yep, egg crate is great stuff. Definitely use the plastic & not metal though!
Paul, I never used it during breeding as I was only spawning discus and didn't want the male seperate, but I have used it before for introductions, etc. And of course, for those times I'd come home with a fish I didn't have tank space for yet! Now how did that happen? :wacko:[/b]

Egg crate. I've read about this material in other sources. None ever really explained what it was...lighting diffuser at Home Depot...get black..only use the plastic material..use under rocks and as tank dividers. Whew! Now I know more than I expected.

So..I'll get some. Can I still get another tank?
[/b][/quote]

Yep so did I. I got some and I must say it works better than plexiglass b/c I don't have to run 2 filters on one tank. It is a genius of an idea!! Thanks for the input!! Can I say also "CHEAPER?" LOL!!