• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Discus

Jigg's

Members
Hello everybody my name is jimmy. i recently went the ACA N got a lot of fish INCLUDING 8 DISCUS FOR JUVENILES IN 4 ADULTS MEDIUM SIZE. I PUT the bigger discus in my 30gallon tank n the juviez in a 20gallon. I messed up by separating them cause my adults made it well.3 did n all my juvies died. Im sad cause that'sto what i went to the convention to look for was Discus but it is my first time with this perticular fish. And the 3 medium size discus are doing great. So far. But if anyone could help me out on some tips or if u have alot of experience with this species of fish that would be great if you can show me some pointers or give me few tips that would be awesome. Thank u so much.

breeia

Members
Wow- that is a loaded question. Sorry for your loss. I am by no means an expert, but have kept discus for about 8 years. Mine do well with frequent water changes (daily if possible-cleanliness seems to be a priority for them) and high warm temps (I keep my tanks at around 84). Mine are also are fed a variety of foods 3 times daily. To generalize, discus tend to prefer soft water. If all your juvies died that quickly, I would get my water tested to make sure nothing funky is going on. Mine also tend to like space. I would maybe upgrade to a 55gal for the 4 "adults" (bigger if possible, more gallons=more discus :) ). I keep mine with just corydoras as tankmates. There is quite a bit of information out there available on discus, and guidance much better than my brief post. I can only speak to what I have done- again not an expert. Best of luck!

YSS

Members
General rule of thumb is at minimum 1 discus per 10 gallons of water. Go to simplydiscus.com and do a lot of reading. Discus is not an easy fish to keep if you don't know what you are doing. Good luck!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Honestly, discus aren't really all that hard. I have mine on the same water change routine and feeding schedule as my Africans, and they have done fine. My guys get 30% weekly water changes, usually only fed once a day, temp at 80, near neutral pH. The discus will grow faster if you do daily water changes and feed them 3-5 times a day, but my point is you don't have to. I use straight tap water during water changes, not RO, and just add dechlor and salt.

Eventually they will appreciate a larger tank. Make sure you have good filtration and aeration and they will be fine for a little while.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey Jimmy,

It's good to see you on the forum. I'm glad we got a chance to meet you in Milwaukee and look forward to seeing you again next year. :)

How did your fish do in terms of making it back to New Mexico? I remember you saying that it was your first time shipping fish. Hopefully, they did alright.

I'm sorry to hear about your discus troubles. Don't let it get you down. While I don't keep discus, these folks know what they're talking about and will set you on the right path.

Good luck.

Tony