• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dilema

mscichlid

Founder
I'm getting a bathroom remodel. The bathroom is right over the sink and water storage container in my fishroom. Some of the demolition debris subsequently dropped into my water storage container. Do you think I should use this water for water changes or pump it out into the yard?

DeeCee

Members
I vote for being safe & dumping the water out & starting over. Who knows what crud could be in there?

Oh lucky girl, a new bathroom! Congrats!

ummmm, you're not letting PAT do the remodeling though, are you? heee heee!

DeeCee

Julie

Members
safe is good, but it depends on how much water you are talking about? And whether pesticides are likely in the debris. If it's mainly just dust (heaven forbid any dust ever got into my tanks! :rolleyes: ) I'd think you'd be ok using the water. Especially plaster type dust, would just harden the water a bit.. then you can use clean water for a rainy season later!!

mscichlid

Founder
I'm torn to be sure. It is plaster particles. The container has about 160 gallons in it. Maybe I'll test it on the black severum/ convict tank and see. Or just pump it out into the yard. :smashfreakB:

I'd dump it Franny. I think when Jo gives the dog a bath in the back room where my tanks are, that when she blow dries her, crap gets in my tanks. Shampoo is a soap. I don't think detergent is good for the water quality. When the groomer comes over, we drape plastic over the tanks to keep the shampooed, blown dry hair from getting in the tanks.

You don't know what all may be in the dust particles that got into the holding tank. Coming from a bathroom...detergent, grout, glue, all sorts of things could be introduced.

I would just go ahead and make the precautionary steps to be safe.

On another subject, kinda. Do you add anything to your holding tank? Or do you just let the water age in it?

mscichlid

Founder
You scared me! I'll dump it.

I pretty much just siphon the 100 gallons of rainwater in the 225 container and fill the rest with cold tap, add the Prime, hook up heater, turn on linear pump and wait 24 hours before using.

maddog10

Members
You are probably ok, but since this is the rainy season, it is the best time to pump it out and start over.