• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Diatoms won't stop

monfrey29

Members
I do regular weekly water changes 30%. I feed once a day, just a pinch. I just bought a new light fixture and new bulbs for my other fixture. I don't know my water perimeters right now, but brown algae keeps growing. What should I do... The tank has been running for about two months now. Will it pass?

36in NO T5
24in NO T5
Emperor 400
150w heater, 78°
2 circulation pumps
PFS
Bogwood
TX holey rock
40g breeder
5 juvie peacocks
1 juvie frontosa
1 juvie Yellow Lab
Multi catfish
Bristlenose pleco
Will relocate three peacocks to larger tank after grow out.

Sent from my YP-G70 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1334194485731.jpg

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
It should stop given time, but I'd not predict how long. You can probably get it under control quicker with water change of 50% once a week, more light and more BN. In a 40g you might really need 3 to 5 BN to keep the glass clean, and they will help with the gravel and decorations. A good siphoning of the gravel may also be in order since silica promotes brown algae.

monfrey29

Members
Might pick up 2 more BN this weekend, thanks. Its been awhile since I've been in this hobby (not a lot of funds) but I love it. So I am trying again. Thanks for your response.

monfrey29

Members
do those snails multiply very fast? Don't wanna get few that will turn into a hundred.

monfrey29

Members
Will my peacocks eat those eggs? Or will I have to clean them out myself?

Shane

Members
I do regular weekly water changes 30%. I feed once a day, just a pinch. I just bought a new light fixture and new bulbs for my other fixture. I don't know my water perimeters right now, but brown algae keeps growing. What should I do... The tank has been running for about two months now. Will it pass?

How long is your photo period? Too much light can come from either too high of a lighting density (i.e. watts per gallon) or too long a photoperiod. As the above tank has no live plants, I would recommend that you have the lights on a timer and have them come on only 2-3 hours a day when you are home to enjoy seeing the fishes. If the lights come on at 7:00 pm and go off at 10:00 pm it will be too short of a photoperiod for the vast majority of algaes to become established. Also, check that the tank is not getting additional light density and/or photoperiod from ambient light.
-Shane