• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dehumidifier water

Forester

Members
Hi everyone,

So as I'm sure many of you do, I am running a dehumidifier in my room almost 24/7. I was wondering if you would consider the water safe to use?

Thanks for the help,

Lucas

mchambers

Former CCA member
There certainly are lots of warnings on the inter-webs about the dangers of using dehumidifier water. In particular, people say that it is likely to have copper in it, due to copper being in the coils in the dehumidifier. I haven't had a problem using it, even in tanks that have shrimp, so I think it is safe. I use it during the warmer months when I have the dehumidifier running. I turn off my dehumidifier in the winter.

I'm pretty sure I tested it once using polyfilter, and the polyfilter did not turn any color, suggesting that there were no metals in the water.

At one point, when I was researching this issue, I learned that Tom Barr, one of the true masters of the planted tank, wrote that he had used in his tanks and did so routinely.

Forester

Members
There certainly are lots of warnings on the inter-webs about the dangers of using dehumidifier water. In particular, people say that it is likely to have copper in it, due to copper being in the coils in the dehumidifier. I haven't had a problem using it, even in tanks that have shrimp, so I think it is safe. I use it during the warmer months when I have the dehumidifier running. I turn off my dehumidifier in the winter.

I'm pretty sure I tested it once using polyfilter, and the polyfilter did not turn any color, suggesting that there were no metals in the water.

At one point, when I was researching this issue, I learned that Tom Barr, one of the true masters of the planted tank, wrote that he had used in his tanks and did so routinely.

Then I will go ahead and use it. I have also seen a lot of warning but also many people saying it was okay.

Thanks

verbal

CCA Members
I think the risk is pretty low. I would think it is even lower if you use prime which would neutralize some heavy metals. Start with something that is hardy and not as expensive, before using it on a prized breeding group.

One thing I would be very cautious about would be shrimp, since there is a possibility of copper - which is very toxic for inverts.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I use mine but only at times.
I use it in the cull tank. They seem to be fine. Been doing it for 4 or 5 years

Forester

Members
Everybody seems to be doing fine. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App