• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Decided on a Dwarf setup

jstlstn

Members
Okay I am going to start an Apisto setup and plan on getting the fish at the BFD. I have a ten gallon planted that they will be going in until I clear out a 20 and eventually my 40 breeeder. My water is hard with a ph of 7.7-8. I have it lowered to around 7.5-7.6 without RO. I would prefer not to have to use RO water if I do not have to. Reading has led me to believe one of these three would be my best starting point, Hoignei, Borelli or Agassizii or Is there some other species I should consider? Thanks in advance see you all at BFD.

finzz

Members
Becca beat me to it! The best water falls from the sky for free!

Most Apistos do better with softer, more acidic water, but borellii and cacatuoides don't do badly in non-ideal conditions. I've had poor luck with agasizzi in anything but softer water.

jstlstn

Members
okay so any suggestions on the type of mechanism to tie in the house drain spouts? Been looking at several videos on how to do it some have the filter mechanism on the attachment to the gutter system some have it on the barrel. Has anyone have any experience they would like to share.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Whatever filter or screen you use needs to be easy to clean or replace, because it is likely to get clogged.

I've used a couple of devices, but can't say I've loved any of them.

finzz

Members
I've experimented with a half dozen or so different systems to clear the water coming to the barrel and none worked well enough to keep. I shortened the downspout to the top of the barrel and installed the elbow back onto the end so the water is deflected into the barrel whether it's a sprinkle or a downpour. The bottom of the barrel needs to be cleaned out when it gets too bad, but it's mostly leaves and sticks, which are great to tannins. Once in a while I used to find kid's toys, and once a golf ball (still haven't figured that one out) but other than that you'll only get the grit from the shingles and that doesn't seem to change the water chemistry at all.

If you don't have an overflow on the barrel, make sure the water coming over the top is directed away from the house!

Good Luck.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree with Don. I've found that the junk that comes off the roof doesn't screw up my water chemistry, but you might want to test your rainwater, to see how it is. I remember another club member finding that the water that came off her roof was pretty high in pH.

While i don't have advice to contribute, i too am a lover of dwarf cichlids, keeping german blue rams, kribensis, egyptian mouth brooders, ( and I just picked up some Guianacara Stergiosi yesterday) so please keep us posted on your progress!

jstlstn

Members
Thanks everyone, i think i am going to take Christi suggestion and try panduro. I will be working on the rain barrel until then I think i will just buy/borrow from a friend that used to have a salt tank but still has there RO unit.