• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DAPHNIA AND OTHER LIVE FOODS FS

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
DAPHNIA AND OTHER LIVE FOODS FSDAPHNIA AND OTHER LIVE FOODS AVAILABLE FOR SALE AND DELIVERY TO THE OCTOBER CCA MEETING

daphnia $5 a bag
microworm culture in a sandwich box $5
vinegar eel culture in a sandwich box $5
grindal worm culture in a 10 inch storage container $12 This is the soil-less culture
microworm starter amount is free to any member, just ask for the microworm starter

If you want something else I have advertised before, please ask.

Becca

Members
Frank - are the grindal worms comparable to black worms in terms of what size fish eat them? I hate dealing with black worms (my last batch froze when J shoved them to the back of the fridge) and I'm looking for a substitute.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Becca,

White worms are closer in size to black worms than grindal worms are. White worms can be cultured but require temperatures in the 60s to be successful. Grindal worms can be cultured at normal room temperatures in the 70s which is why I culture grindals and not white worms.
But it is hard to beat buying a half pound or a pound of black worms versus trying to raise a half pound of white worms or grindals. It is probably easier to raise a pound of red wigglers on table scraps but those are big worms compared to black worms. ANd cultures for red wigglers tend to be big.
On that note, you can ramp up the size or the number of cultures of white worms or grindals to produce just about any number of worms you need for conditioning or feeding your fish.

With purchase of worms or any culture I have I will give you my procedure for culturing them. I need your email to do so since you cannot put attachments in PMs .

Becca

Members
Becca,
But it is hard to beat buying a half pound or a pound of black worms versus trying to raise a half pound of white worms or grindals.

Thanks for the information :)! perhaps, for now at least, I will stick with black worms. I haven't much room for large cultures of anything. Maybe I should just make a habit of freezing them...

Hi! I'm new to this site, signed up JUST to message you about daphnia. I'm looking to buy. I live in Hyattsville, MD. Have absolutely NO idea when this group meets or anything. I don't breed cichlids, but bettas. When is the October meeting? I kind of want to get the daphnia as soon as possible. Would I be able to pick them up from you?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
We meet this Saturday at 2 at JFK high school in
Silver Springs MD

for more information check the portal/home page.
Directions and such are in the links on the left