• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DAPHNIA AND FISH AVAILABLE FOR SEPT CCA MTG

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
FOR SALE: Daphnia and other live food cultures plus various home-grown fish I can deliver to the next CCA meeting Saturday September 9, 2017.

DAPHNIA $5 a bag

MICROWORM culture in a plastic food-storage box $5
MICROWORM starter (1 tablespoon of a going culture) is free to any PVAS or CCA member, just ask for the microworm starter.

VINEGAR EEL culture $5 (one pint) with collecting sponge in a food storage box. Ask for instructions if you need them.

Rotifer culture starter is free to any PVAS or CCA member, just ask for rotifer starter. Cultures are $5 a quart and will be placed in a fish bag. Just transfer to a container with a lot of surface area for a going culture.

Red cherry shrimp 10 for $8. OK so maybe these are Cherry red shrimp. (SOLD OUT)

All fish are home grown, tank raised.
Order in this thread, preferred, or PM me, please.

BN albino or spotted/brown 1-2 inches $3 each

L183 BN also known as the Starlight Bristlenose Catfish or Dolly Pleco -- 1.5 to 2 inch $20 each. These are the ones shown in the picture below with the white edging to the dorsal and caudal fins in both juvies and adults.

L-183.jpg

Carrassius auratus (Sarasa comet goldfish) 4-6 inch fish $5 each or 6 for $25 white and red These are great pond fish, very visible and will overwinter in the pond easily if it is deep enough not to freeze solid.

Celestichthys margaritatus (galaxy rasbora or celestial pearl danio) $5 each or 6 for $25
Pseudomugil gertrudae (spotted blue-eyed rainbowfish) $20 a pair (SOLD OUT OF juvies)
Melanotaenia rubrivittata (Wapoga red laser rainbowfish) These only grow to about 2 inches. $20 pair or 6 juveniles for $25

Corydoras axelrodi (Axelrod's cory) $8 each or 6 for $40
Corydoras paleatus (pepper corys) $5 each or six for $20
Corydoras panda (panda corys) $4 each
Corydoras pygmaeus (pygmy cory catfish) $4 each or 6 for $20
Corydoras schultzi black (beautiful black cory) only two left $10 each
Corydoras sp CW010 (gold laser cory or Peru orange stripe cory) $7 each or 6 for $35
Corydoras sterbai (Sterba's cory) the one with the orange pectoral fins $8 each or 6 for $40
Corydoras trilineatus (leopard cory) spots and stripes $8 each or 6 for $38
Corydoras weitzmani (Weitzman's cory) $8 each or 6 for $40

Enneacanthus chaetodon (black banded sunfish) a native small sunfish that behaves much like angelfish and fits in aquariums like angels would and are about the same size as angelfish $10 each
In the1930 these were call the north American angelfish.

Epiplaty annulatus (rocket killie) $8 a pair

Gymnogeophagus balzanii (Argentine humphead or eartheater) $5 each for 3 to 4 inch fish

Microgeophagus ramirezi (electric blue ram) $20 a pair, extra female $12

Neolamprologus pulcher (daffodil or lyretail cichlid) $5 each 2 to 3 inch fish or 6 for $25

Poecilia reticulata (fire cracker red guppy with dumbo ears) $10 pair or $5 each.

Chindongo demasoni (Pseudotropheus demasoni) ( dark blue and white striped mbuna) $5 each for 2 to 3 inch fish this is a CARES fish Adults available, just ask.

Pterophyllum scalare (black lace angelfish) $6 each
Pterophyllum scalare (black velvet or double D angelfish) $8 each
Pterophyllum scalare (platinum pearlscale angelfish) $8 each
Pterophyllum scalare (red koi angelfish) $8 each
Pterophyllum scalare (high-coverage red koi angelfish) $10 each
Pterophyllum scalare (silver angelfish) $5 each

Synodontis petricola (Tanganyikan spotted catfish) $6 each 1.2 to 2.5 inch fish or 6 for $30

Tricogaster trichopterus (opaline gourami) $8 pair

Xiphophorus helleri (black velver or black Moscow swordtails) $4 each
Xiphophorus helleri (red velvet swordtails) $4 each
Xiphophorus maculatus (red wag platy) $4 each
Xiphophorus maculatus (electric blue wag platy) $4 each
Xiphophorus variatus (red-tailed blue variatus) $4 each

Spotted bullhead catfish 9 to 12 inch fish $8 each These fish are native to a few southern US rivers like the Suwanee River in FL and GA. These are actually a spotted version of the brown bullhead. They grow to about 16-18 inches and will fit in any large cichlid tank, like where a red-tailed catfish would, without getting so big. And can be trained to eat out of your hand.
spotted%20bullhead.jpg

Last edited:

Pattie

CCA Members
I am interested in the Neolamprologus pulcher 12 delivery to the 9/9 meeting would be great thanks.

jstlstn

Members
Frank I would like a bag of daphnia and ten Cherry Red shrimp, if you please. I will be at the September meeting.

jthamm2003

Members
Hi Frank-
I'm interested in a number of the fish you have available and wonder if you ship? I'm in Apex, NC 27502.
You can also contact me at jthamm2003@yahoo.com

Thanks!

FOR SALE: Daphnia and other live food cultures plus various home-grown fish I can deliver to the next CCA meeting Saturday September 9, 2017.

DAPHNIA $5 a bag

MICROWORM starter (1 tablespoon of a going culture) is free to any PVAS or CCA member, just ask for the microworm starter.

VINEGAR EEL culture $5 (one pint) with collecting sponge in a food storage box. Ask for instructions if you need them.

Rotifer culture starter is free to any PVAS or CCA member, just ask for rotifer starter. Cultures are $5 a quart and will be placed in a fish bag. Just transfer to a container with a lot of surface area for a going culture.

Red cherry shrimp 10 for $8. OK so maybe these are Cherry red shrimp. (SOLD OUT)

L183 BN also known as the Starlight Bristlenose Catfish or Dolly Pleco -- 1.5 to 2 inch $20 each. These are the ones shown in the picture below with the white edging to the dorsal and caudal fins in both juvies and adults.

L-183.jpg

Carrassius auratus (Sarasa comet goldfish) 4-6 inch fish $5 each or 6 for $25 white and red These are great pond fish, very visible and will overwinter in the pond easily if it is deep enough not to freeze solid.

Celestichthys margaritatus (galaxy rasbora or celestial pearl danio) $5 each or 6 for $25
Pseudomugil gertrudae (spotted blue-eyed rainbowfish) $20 a pair (SOLD OUT OF juvies)
Melanotaenia rubrivittata (Wapoga red laser rainbowfish) These only grow to about 2 inches. $20 pair or 6 juveniles for $25

Corydoras sp CW010 (gold laser cory or Peru orange stripe cory) $7 each or 6 for $35
Corydoras sterbai (Sterba's cory) the one with the orange pectoral fins $8 each or 6 for $40

Enneacanthus chaetodon (black banded sunfish) a native small sunfish that behaves much like angelfish and fits in aquariums like angels would and are about the same size as angelfish $10 each

Gymnogeophagus balzanii (Argentine humphead or eartheater) $5 each for 3 to 4 inch fish

Neolamprologus pulcher (daffodil or lyretail cichlid) $5 each 2 to 3 inch fish or 6 for $25

Poecilia reticulata (fire cracker red guppy with dumbo ears) $10 pair or $5 each.

Chindongo demasoni (Pseudotropheus demasoni) ( dark blue and white striped mbuna) $5 each for 2 to 3 inch fish this is a CARES fish Adults available, just ask.

Synodontis petricola (Tanganyikan spotted catfish) $6 each 1.2 to 2.5 inch fish or 6 for $30

Spotted bullhead catfish 9 to 12 inch fish $8 each These fish are native to a few southern US rivers like the Suwanee River in FL and GA. These are actually a spotted version of the brown bullhead. They grow to about 16-18 inches and will fit in any large cichlid tank, like where a red-tailed catfish would, without getting so big. And can be trained to eat out of your hand.
spotted%20bullhead.jpg

captmicha

Members

DAPHNIA $5 a bag

L-183.jpg

spotted%20bullhead.jpg

What pH & kh are you keeping the X. variatus in? Will you be at the October meeting?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Micha,

I do not measure either pH or kh except when the pH is possibly critical for getting the fish (like some tetras at pH 5) to spawn. I had to look up kh which is:
KH is a measure of bicarbonate (HCO3-) and carbonate (CO32-) ions that act as buffers in the water to prevent the pH dropping or changing sharply (especially at night if you have plants in the aquarium). One degree KH is equal to 17.9 mg/I (ppm) CaCO3.

Livebearers, including guppies, swordtails, platys, and variatus are very adaptable and can be acclimated successfully to most water conditions. But they do best in pH above 7. I have found with red wag platys that you get a lot more males at pH above 7.5 and a lot more females below 7.0. So pH can skew the sex ratio of the young by the pH at which you choose to keep your tank.

As for kh I believe it is a non-issue unless you have a heavily planted tank whose pH does drop sharply at night. If you are using CO2 gas to get plant growth, be sure it is on a timer so you are not feeding CO2 when the lights are off (and the plants cannot use the CO2).

I would recommend that you use one of the basic pH maintaining substrates for livebearers to keep the pH above 7. These substrates are widely sold for use in Rift Lake tanks to maintain a high pH. But for a livebearer tank you only need a handful of this substrate. Since it does add calcium salts to the water, it would prevent pH swings. You could as an alternative use hydrated lime in its place. Hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide in the hydrated form so it should not burn you skin like un-hydrated lime will and it is readily available at most garden or hardware stores.

I also like to keep livebearers in water with about 300 ppm of salts (TDS or total dissolved salts). You can do this with non-iodized table salt (NaCl or sodium chloride) or Epson salts (MgSO4) by adding about a teaspoon of either or half a teaspoon of both to 10 gallons of water. For livebearers the added salt is probably not necessary but I think it is beneficial. I know salt does promote the fish's slime coat and that is the fish's main defense against bacteria and viruses. But measure your water and see what TDS it has out of the tap. Many waters in this area already have a 200 to 300 TDS. My water is very soft so I have to add salts. A TDS meter is around 12 to 15 dollars on-line.

captmicha

Members
Micha,

I do not measure either pH or kh except when the pH is possibly critical for getting the fish (like some tetras at pH 5) to spawn. I had to look up kh which is:
KH is a measure of bicarbonate (HCO3-) and carbonate (CO32-) ions that act as buffers in the water to prevent the pH dropping or changing sharply (especially at night if you have plants in the aquarium). One degree KH is equal to 17.9 mg/I (ppm) CaCO3.

Livebearers, including guppies, swordtails, platys, and variatus are very adaptable and can be acclimated successfully to most water conditions. But they do best in pH above 7. I have found with red wag platys that you get a lot more males at pH above 7.5 and a lot more females below 7.0. So pH can skew the sex ratio of the young by the pH at which you choose to keep your tank.

As for kh I believe it is a non-issue unless you have a heavily planted tank whose pH does drop sharply at night. If you are using CO2 gas to get plant growth, be sure it is on a timer so you are not feeding CO2 when the lights are off (and the plants cannot use the CO2).

I would recommend that you use one of the basic pH maintaining substrates for livebearers to keep the pH above 7. These substrates are widely sold for use in Rift Lake tanks to maintain a high pH. But for a livebearer tank you only need a handful of this substrate. Since it does add calcium salts to the water, it would prevent pH swings. You could as an alternative use hydrated lime in its place. Hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide in the hydrated form so it should not burn you skin like un-hydrated lime will and it is readily available at most garden or hardware stores.

I also like to keep livebearers in water with about 300 ppm of salts (TDS or total dissolved salts). You can do this with non-iodized table salt (NaCl or sodium chloride) or Epson salts (MgSO4) by adding about a teaspoon of either or half a teaspoon of both to 10 gallons of water. For livebearers the added salt is probably not necessary but I think it is beneficial. I know salt does promote the fish's slime coat and that is the fish's main defense against bacteria and viruses. But measure your water and see what TDS it has out of the tap. Many waters in this area already have a 200 to 300 TDS. My water is very soft so I have to add salts. A TDS meter is around 12 to 15 dollars on-line.
Thank you!

I've kept platys well at just out the tap (well water), but some of my swordtails and mollies are a different story. Curious.

I'm really looking for a live bearer that I can keep in my SA & CA community cichlid tank without having to mess with the water. Do you have anything like that? I need the parents to be sizable enough to not be eaten, but the endless fry will be one food source.

Btw, when I got microworms from you, they were orange. Did you add Naturose?

captmicha

Members
Thank you!

I've kept platys well at just out the tap (well water), but some of my swordtails and mollies are a different story. Curious.

I'm really looking for a live bearer that I can keep in my SA & CA community cichlid tank without having to mess with the water. Do you have anything like that? I need the parents to be sizable enough to not be eaten, but the endless fry will be one food source.

And could I get some rosyreds from you?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
The microworms were an experiment with Naturose. Inconclusive.

Guppies and swords are wild in CA and in the same places you find cichlids.

Cal

CCA Members
Thank you!

Micha,

I got a trio of 2.5-3" swordtails from frank and they're doing great in my water.

ph 7.5
kh 80 ppm
gh 300ppm

captmicha

Members
Micha,

I got a trio of 2.5-3" swordtails from frank and they're doing great in my water.

ph 7.5
kh 80 ppm
gh 300ppm
Some of mine have failure to thrive. In fact, I found a dead one today. While others are just fine with water out the tap. It's really confusing.

Maybe they need a few generations in my water to revive... I can't get these mollies and swordtails happy no matter what I try.

Last thing I'm going to try is putting my mollies in brackish or marine. I really didn't want to but it looks like I'm going towards some marine and brackish anyways.

I give up on the swordtails though.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
For mollies you really need to have salt in the water if you want any chance of success. BTW salt water is never acidic that I am aware of. The pH for marine systems should be somewhere around 8. Mollies do well in brackish water or where there is a lot of limestone.
Swords can do well in water with a lot of plants like in the waters around Mexico City, Mexico maybe because there is a lot of limestone. I have seen swords in the waters there but never measured the pH. But in the aquarium they seem to need a pH above 7.5 to do well. I think they are more prone to disease or parasites at lower pH.