• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DAPHNIA AND CULTURES AVAILABLE

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
DAPHNIA MAGNA AND OTHER CULTURES AVAILABLE.

I can bring to the CCA picnic at Batfish Aquatics.

Daphnia magna $5 a bag
Microworm culture $5 for a culture in a sandwich box

Microworm starter $0 = free to CCA members -- just enough of an old culture to get your own culture going.

Vinegar eel culture $5 for a culture in a sandwich box.

I have my normal fish also but since time is short please see one of my previous threads by searching on daphnia to see what is available.

Becca

Members
Frank, may I have two more starters? I forgot to put mine in the fridge when I went to the JSM conference in Boston and they aren't looking so hot.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
If you mean really small cichlid fry like rams or apistos, you probably need paramecium (I do sell that also, $5 for a quart of a going culture). They only need that after they have adsorbed their egg sac and are free swimming. And they only need that for the first two or three days. After that microworms are the right size for even rams.

For most livebearers and larger cichlids, microworms are a good first food and can be used for the first couple of weeks.

Vinegar eels are best for fry that feed from the top to middle of the water column, like rainbows and tetras and some killifish.
But vinegar eels are fine for the larger cichlids and all livebearers. Vinegar eels are about the same size as microworms, the only real difference as a food is that microworms cannot swim and vinegar eels can.

Daphnia magna do get large and too large for most fry to eat, but I find that an advantage. You can put a couple hundred daphnia in with very young fry. The daphnia eat bacteria so help maintain water quality and they drop very small daphnia that most cichlids and livebearer fry can eat. Daphnia drop young every three days, so the young fish have a fairly continuous supply of live daphnia. When the bigger daphnia start to disappear, it is time to switch to dried foods for the fish if you have not already started feeding a small amount of such along with the live foods. ANd feeding dried food to the fry tank will help keep the daphnia population up and going, particularly if you powder it a bit before feeding. I raise daphnia on basically powdered (not real fine) dried fish food.

Frank

zackcrack00

Members
Daphnia magna do get large and too large for most fry to eat, but I find that an advantage. You can put a couple hundred daphnia in with very young fry. The daphnia eat bacteria so help maintain water quality and they drop very small daphnia that most cichlids and livebearer fry can eat. Daphnia drop young every three days, so the young fish have a fairly continuous supply of live daphnia. When the bigger daphnia start to disappear, it is time to switch to dried foods for the fish if you have not already started feeding a small amount of such along with the live foods. ANd feeding dried food to the fry tank will help keep the daphnia population up and going, particularly if you powder it a bit before feeding. I raise daphnia on basically powdered (not real fine) dried fish food.

Frank

Two Daphnia Magna Cultures, please! :) Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
If you mean really small cichlid fry like rams or apistos, you probably need paramecium (I do sell that also, $5 for a quart of a going culture). They only need that after they have adsorbed their egg sac and are free swimming. And they only need that for the first two or three days. After that microworms are the right size for even rams.

For most livebearers and larger cichlids, microworms are a good first food and can be used for the first couple of weeks.

Vinegar eels are best for fry that feed from the top to middle of the water column, like rainbows and tetras and some killifish.
But vinegar eels are fine for the larger cichlids and all livebearers. Vinegar eels are about the same size as microworms, the only real difference as a food is that microworms cannot swim and vinegar eels can.

Frank
Ok, sweet
Im talking about siquia and (hopefully) neetropolus fry so I think micro worms or vinegar eels would be my best bet.
Which would be easiest to culture?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Zack,

thanks, got your order.

Dan,

Both are fairly easy to culture. Microworms are easier to scale up and get lots of them. Microworm cultures go bad about every 10 days to two weeks, so you start new cultures every 10 days to two weeks.

Vinegar eel cultures seem to last for years and really never go bad. But production is much slower than microworms and since they live in vinegar, you always get a trace of vinegar in with the eels ( really they are worms). Of course if you need production then you could have three one gallon cultures or ten.

I recommend three cultures for microworms sized for the production you need. If one goes bad or such, you can just toss it and start new cultures from one of the others. You can put a tablespoon of a good culture in the refrigerator and it will stay good for 8 to 12 months, so you always have a starter. ANd I always offer free starter microworm amounts.

When you get a culture from me, I can send my procedure if you give me your email address. The PM system with this or any forum do not allow attachments.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Zack,

thanks, got your order.

Dan,

Both are fairly easy to culture. Microworms are easier to scale up and get lots of them. Microworm cultures go bad about every 10 days to two weeks, so you start new cultures every 10 days to two weeks.

Vinegar eel cultures seem to last for years and really never go bad. But production is much slower than microworms and since they live in vinegar, you always get a trace of vinegar in with the eels ( really they are worms). Of course if you need production then you could have three one gallon cultures or ten.

I recommend three cultures for microworms sized for the production you need. If one goes bad or such, you can just toss it and start new cultures from one of the others. You can put a tablespoon of a good culture in the refrigerator and it will stay good for 8 to 12 months, so you always have a starter. ANd I always offer free starter microworm amounts.

When you get a culture from me, I can send my procedure if you give me your email address. The PM system with this or any forum do not allow attachments.
Thanks, I think I'll go with vinigar eels then, I just need my parents to aprove of having another kind of worm culture in the house :)

Becca

Members
Frank, may I also purchase one Daphnia culture? I think I'll try throwing it in my 20 gallon grow out. The fry are too small to eat the adults right now, but will probably enjoy the little ones.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Becca,

Will bring you a bag of daphnia.

Dan K,

Vinegar eels are typically set up in a quart of apple cider vinegar with a half cup of apple juice and optionally a quarter slice of any kind of apple. Add to that a half cup of an old culture and give it a week, you can probably harvest worms for one to 6 months depending on how much you harvest. If you need high production, you should set up two, three or four cultures and you can use quart or gallon or whatever size cultures.
The need for live food varies since you only need to feed live foods for the first couple weeks. Then the fish are usually too big to eat the vinegar eels or microworms. With vinegar eels, they just grow so you have lots of them for the next spawn.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Josh,

I will bring you a bag as a host gift. That should be enough to give each of your fish one daphnia.

men_arell

I will bring you a bag of daphnia also. $5.

See you all tomorrow.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Hannibal,

No, you are just in time. Two hours before I have to leave for the meeting is too late.

I will bring you one pair of German Blue rams Total $12

Thanks for the order,