• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

cynotilapia afra hara

Aqua410

Members
I have been looking into cynotilapia afra hara or "white top afra" for one of the fish for my first african tank. Being new to keeping africans I do want some of the more colorful varieties to get my feet wet but I definitely want some less common species to a degree.

Some info I haven't been able to find on them: Are the females blue as well or are they dull? Do they fare well with other mbuna? I want to do 3 species in the 55 gallon give or take with a 1:4 M:F ratio if possible. What are some other species that might make a suitable tank mate for a group of afra's? Lastly does anyone here keep afra's and may have some fry?

Thanks!
John

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
John, I have a pair in my 55 gallon mbuna tank. Female is smaller than the male. They pretty much ignore each other, but I have about 20 fish in the tank, including yellow-tail acei, yellow labs and rusties. Since I have so many fish, almost all fry are eaten. Have fun stocking the tank and enjoying them.

Reed

Very Fishe
John
I have breeding trio/group 1 M, 2,f and 2 juvies available for delivery at meeting. PM sent

Veryfishe.com

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
the females are a dull blue normally. Like most africans the females do not have to color of the males. There are several people in the club who breed them including myself.