• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cycling

zackcrack00

Members
So, after finally getting my new 75, I am ready to set it up in a few days, but I want to know how I am supposed to cycle it. It will have two AC110 filters on it, and neither have ever been used. I was thinking about putting 3 juvenile cichlids in it for two weeks, and then slowly add the rest of the fish in after a week.

Honestly, I haven't cycled a tank in 8 months, so I totally forget how to. Thanks!!!

chriscoli

Administrator
Have any filter material (or the filter itself) from your other tanks that you can move over to the new one?

It's messy, but I usually just squeeze out a sponge filter from an established tank into the new one.

zackcrack00

Members
Have any filter material (or the filter itself) from your other tanks that you can move over to the new one?

It's messy, but I usually just squeeze out a sponge filter from an established tank into the new one.

Messy I don't mind. (To an extent) Could you elaborate a little on the sponge filter technique??? Will this completely cycle the tank? I have a small 30g rated sponge filter in my 29. Will this work??? Also, will this fully cycle the tank?

verbal

CCA Members
You could run your new filters on your existing tanks. The AquaClears are adjustable, so you can turn them down on the smaller tanks.

That in combination with swapping some filter media and/or squeezing sponge filters should work. The squeezing sponge filters is a simple as it sounds, just squeeze an active sponge filter onto the new media.

zackcrack00

Members
So, I take an AC20 and put it on my 75 gallon tank???? Won't that completely mess up the complete cycle in my 29? And do I run both AC110s on the 29 or one on each tank???

Jefft

Members
Zack .. fill your 75g... then take the filer from your smaller tank.. just the filter insert.. nasty and gross.. and then squeeze it in the water of your new 75.. stick the filter down in the 75 water and squeeze the filter over and over again just like you would if you were cleaning it. It will make your 75 water all green and nasty looking this is true.. but it will cycle your tank quick.. then take the sponge from the smaller tank filter and put it back in then let everything go as normal and you are good.. you can also get some good quick cycle bacteria from your LFS tossing that in wouldnt hurt but I think you will have everything you need from just squeezing the nasty filter into the new water. Good Luck.

What Jeff said is right. But then stock VERY lightly and monitor your water with the API test kids (ammonia and nitrite are very important).

Once you have measureable nitrate and no ammonia and nitrite, you can start adding fish slowly, over time, to the 75.

I have had luck before with Dr Tim's One and Only and other similar products you can get from a local fish store (not Petsmart). I would do that in addition to, not instead of, squeezing dirty sponges into your new 75.

If you have anyone from the fish club near by, they might be able to share some media with you.

Also, if you have a local fish store that you have a good relationship with, they might give you some "gunk" as well, although you do have to be careful that it's not transmitting ick or other diseases

When I set up a tank (I do all planted tanks, btw), I like to use at least half used gravel and the other half new gravel, add my hardscape, add plants, add at least one old media filter pad or half old ceramic media/bio-balls from a filter in use and fill the tank with seasoned water from a water change. I usually let the tank cycle for about two weeks, though I think that the tank is already cycled in a week.

Arlene

Ading522

Members
When I set up a tank (I do all planted tanks, btw), I like to use at least half used gravel and the other half new gravel, add my hardscape, add plants, add at least one old media filter pad or half old ceramic media/bio-balls from a filter in use and fill the tank with seasoned water from a water change. I usually let the tank cycle for about two weeks, though I think that the tank is already cycled in a week.

Arlene

What do you mean by "seasoned water from a water change" ? And what do you do when you need the tank ASAP?

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

What do you mean by "seasoned water from a water change" ? And what do you do when you need the tank ASAP?

Instead of dumping the old water from a water change, I save it and put in the tank that I'm setting up. I try to fill up the new tank with at least half of old water and then add fresh water to fill up the tank.

Arlene

Ading522

Members
Instead of dumping the old water from a water change, I save it and put in the tank that I'm setting up. I try to fill up the new tank with at least half of old water and then add fresh water to fill up the tank.

Arlene

I see.. Thanks! I will try that as well..

Jefft

Members
HUH???

In AC110 filters, where do I put things like ammonia remover and stuff in the filter?[/QUOTE

There should be a plastic thing that looks like a little rectangle without a top edge so kinda like a basket.. That goes in the bottom. It "carries the sponge.So basket then sponge.. then there should be ceramic rings which you pour into a bag of like plastic fish net looking stuff.. Make sure you use the red bag clip to close the bag. Make sure to leave the bag and rings about the same length as your sponge. Then lay the rings on top of your sponge. If you are using a carbon insert that would go directly on top of the sponge and rings on top of that.. Rings always on the top layer.. I hope the ceramic rings are what you are referring to when you say ammonia remover.

Ading522

Members
In AC110 filters, where do I put things like ammonia remover and stuff in the filter?[/QUOTE

There should be a plastic thing that looks like a little rectangle without a top edge so kinda like a basket.. That goes in the bottom. It "carries the sponge.So basket then sponge.. then there should be ceramic rings which you pour into a bag of like plastic fish net looking stuff.. Make sure you use the red bag clip to close the bag. Make sure to leave the bag and rings about the same length as your sponge. Then lay the rings on top of your sponge. If you are using a carbon insert that would go directly on top of the sponge and rings on top of that.. Rings always on the top layer.. I hope the ceramic rings are what you are referring to when you say ammonia remover.

+1 if not I think Google has a diagram that shows how things go in order in a hagen filter ..

mchambers

Former CCA member
Personally, I don't use old water. From what I've read, the vast majority of the beneficial microbes are in filter material. Why not take some of the biomedia from your existing filter and add it to one of the new filters?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I know I'm a newbie here but have had many tanks... Just seed the tank with old filter media when you go to change or clean your other tank a couple hands full of gravel won't hurt either...plus all the other good advice everyone else gave.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Plenipotentiary-at-large
No such thing as "cycling" a tank...

...unless you ride it around on two wheels. There is however a biological cycle comprised of denitrifying bacteria, mostly concentrated in the filter material but eventually covering most if not all internal surfaces inside tanks, that one can pursue. I make the distinction because the notion of "cycling" a tank is a misnomer that causes all manner of confusion, stupidity, wasted effort and squandered capital/time that could be put to better use to say nothing of enjoying life and the hobby. It's all about having enough of the right bacteria. It's that simple.

The "squeeze" method works well, as does running new filters on an established tank for a week or two to get them colonized with bacteria. Introducing substrate, plants or anything else from an established tank will also accelerate colonization although as Matt pointed out there is little benefit from using old water as bacterial counts within same are very low and it's typically high in nitrates (from the bacteria breakdown of ammonia - the reason we do water changes). There is nothing in over-the-counter inoculant formulas any better than what one has in an established tank so you can save your money, and same goes for ammonia remover - that's what the DN bacteria do. All that is required is lots of surface area in the form of filter media and a little time - any/everything else (for fresh water) is unnecessary.

Despite what some may say, you can/could fill the tank with water and fish the same day - have done it many times simply using pre-colonized materials/media. And if you're worried that the bacteria haven't had time to populate, just be stingy with feeding for a week or so - less food equals less waste (ammonia).

zackcrack00

Members
Thanks, I'll run one of the AC110s on my 29 for a week then put it on the 75, squeeze the sponge filter into my tank, and squeeze the sponge in my AC20 in my 75. Thank you for all of your help everyone!

Last question (hopefully): Is it okay to add 8 juvenile yellow labs to the tank after doing all of this and letting it sit for another week?

verbal

CCA Members
That sounds like a good plan. I would skip the week between setup and stocking. I think that sound like a reasonable initial load. It is a small enough bioload you can probably keep feeding them normally. On your next additions you may want to maintain the feeding, and bump up your water changes, to give the bacteria a little time to catch up, and gradually increase the feeding to match the stocking.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app