• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cycling with White Wine

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd prefer to drop in a mature sponge filter and drink the wine while watching my tank of fish... :)

Matt

BevN

Members
I'm with Matt.

I just squeeze a dirty sponge filter into the tank I need cycled. We do that when setting up new tanks. Instant cycling and ready for fish when the water clears. We have 35 15 gallon tanks to set up in the next two weeks and we will be moving 20 pairs of apistos in the same day we clean out the dirty sponges in there. Free and easy.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Only in America, or maybe France.

A whole bottle?! Right. Definitely simpler/cheaper/more reliable ways.

Some/much of the recurrent obsession/problem/confusion here stems from use of the misnomer "cycling a tank". The real goal is "establishing bacteria" which is one of the simpler (read as inevitable) if not simplest tasks on the planet - simply add bacteria from some combination of other existing source(s) - established filter sponges/medium (best), plants, "live" substrate/rocks/wood, "used" water, etc., and it's basically ready.

Can't remember setting up a new tank in recent memory that didn't have fish put in it the same day.

fischfan13

Banned

Can't remember setting up a new tank in recent memory that didn't have fish put in it the same day.

Same here...but then people like US are looked at funny by the rest of the fish-society. o_O ...well, at least those who like to spend money on potions in their tanks.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
According to some

The best thing to use for "cycling a tank" is composted US currency. $20s work especially well, presumably on account of Andrew Jackson having been such a POS.

lonlangione

Members
I've been around this hobby for over 35 years and I thought I heard of everything. Wine??? My Italian grandmother just turned over in her grave. I just bought a pair on Etia nguti and I put them in a 30 gallon tank with all new water, I did put some prime in the water, and a new box filter, yes I am old school, I put dirty fluff in from another filter, and the fish are doing great. Well if I could get the *******s to come out of the rocks every once in a while they would be even better. I put 8 zebra danios in yesterday as dithers and they still prefer to stay in the rocks and caves.

JLW

CCA Members
Sadly guys, this is a legitimate cycling method, and has actually been popular in some parts of the country. It has a number of advantages over any other method, including the potentially spotty "dirty filter media" method. There's an actual youtube video that explains it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Who's biz you calling "spotty"

Napalm "legitimately" works for weed removal and pest control. But that''s just plain silly - a simple flamethrower is just as good.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sadly guys, this is a legitimate cycling method, and has actually been popular in some parts of the country. It has a number of advantages over any other method, including the potentially spotty "dirty filter media" method. There's an actual youtube video that explains it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

I love that song....

....feel a bit dirty for admitting it though.