• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

cycled tank question

cmcpart0422

Members
Is it possible to keep a tank cycled with only snails?

Removed all the fish out of a 20 gallon a few weeks ago but left the filter and heater running and am wondering if the snails will keep the tank cycled. If I had to guess I would say there are about 100 malaysian trumpet snails that I feed some fish food once every other night. Any thoughts?

mscichlid

Founder
If your're feeding the tank, I imagine that it will stay cycled. My 120 was empty for quite some time and all I had in there were a million of those mts.

dogofwar

CCA Members
As long as there's something producing waste (uneaten food, eaten food, existing gunk in the tank, etc.) then the bacteria have something to eat...

Matt

fischfan13

Banned
Chris, I recently had a 40g breeder that had nothing alive in it for about a month but snails.
Added a few fish and everyone is fine.

mchambers

Former CCA member
My guess from reading other sources about beneficial bacteria in the aquarium is that most of the colony will simply go into a dormant state. It won't die, as long as the conditions aren't inhospitable (such as extreme temperature, lack of oxygen, etc.)