• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Current LED light is flashing

chriscoli

Administrator
Anyone have their Current LED light start flashing on and off? And, no, it's not the "lightning" setting. This is the whole fixture blinking on and off. I did a quick Google search and it seems the recommendation is to try a different power adapter. I did that....still the same.

Any suggestions? I have two 4' Satellite + fixtures that are doing this, and I hate to throw them away without troubleshooting them.

mine have done that just for a quick instant than stopped. i do notice that the plug dose not like to stay snug in the power strip and when its not seated properly will make a high pitch humming noise.

do you use them on a tank with or without a lid. i read some articles about these lights stating that they are not very water proof. it could be a short from condensation or splashing water getting into it.

try agitating the wires it might be loose?

best of luck!

Becca

Members
weird... are they on timers?

Mine has done this before when I had it on the ramp up/down timer settings and also when I had it plugged in to the timer loose and didn't realize it.

chriscoli

Administrator
mine have done that just for a quick instant than stopped. i do notice that the plug dose not like to stay snug in the power strip and when its not seated properly will make a high pitch humming noise.

do you use them on a tank with or without a lid. i read some articles about these lights stating that they are not very water proof. it could be a short from condensation or splashing water getting into it.

try agitating the wires it might be loose?

best of luck!

They've been in storage for a while, so no condensation but they used to get a bit of splatter last time I used them, so there might be salt buildup in bad places.

Yes, wiggled the wires.

chriscoli

Administrator
weird... are they on timers?

Mine has done this before when I had it on the ramp up/down timer settings and also when I had it plugged in to the timer loose and didn't realize it.

not yet. I was just testing them out before setting them up.

Becca

Members
not yet. I was just testing them out before setting them up.

I have some vague recollection of this happening with refurbished ones I bought (plain old satellites) and it turned out I had to play with the lighting settings a little to pick a setting to get them to stop and on a couple I hadn't gotten the connections snapped in properly.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I have a plain old Satellite that is doing this, but only every few hours. I suspect the adapter, too.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've had a fair amount of trouble with adapters on LED lights. I've had it happen with Current fixtures and also Marineland. Don't know why that is.

Becca

Members
We've had this happen on the beamswork and the explanation was, supposedly, that we'd plugged it into a regular timer, not their proprietary one.

I've had current LEDs plugged into regular outlet timers, though, and not had this happen.

Does this apply to the sat plus pro as well. I have min in an enclosed cover about 2.5 inches above the water.

When I first got mine (standard satilite), it was on a open top tank with no lid. I noticed water would always splash up and drip off of the light. In the same sense that water will be on the underside of a glass lid (either from spashing, water flow, bubbles, or condensation). I think that made me uneasy, because after examining the light it did not appear to be sealed. Also some Internet reviews stated it to not be sealed. That being said I don't know about the plus pro, it may be sealed better. For my case thought, I was quick to protect my investment and keep water off of it.

If I was you, I would thoroughly inspect it just to be sure you don't find any moisture inside the fixture. I would be worried if there was. If not you should be fine !

dhavalsp

Members
How good are these submersible leds (or any other LEDs when it comes to supporting a lightly planted tank (anubias and vals). the one in the link says 10000K for $35, which i think is a good deal provided single one is enough.

I don't know how good LED are for plants because I don't grow any. But if you mound submersible LED inside the tank, you get a lot more intensity because it is closer to the plants, and there is no filtering loss through the glass top.