• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cryptoheras myrnae stocking?

captmicha

Members
Got these guys yesterday in the auction.

I'm read that conspecific aggression is high.

What's your experience with them? Is a group possible in a large enough tank? How large?

I don't like the idea of using target fish to reduce aggression in pairs. If aggression gets to the point of injury or worse.

chriscoli

Administrator
I think it is possible, I have several of convict-types similar to those in groups. Occasionally there's aggression but usually they work it out. Put in a lot of sight breaks and places for anyone getting picked on to get out of the way.

Tacky as it looks, I like PVC for that purpose. Put in several pieces that are a few inches long, open on both ends, and large enough to fit an adult fish. That will provide them a place to go where they're out of sight but can also escape one end or the other if they do get followed in.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Those were my fish. Congrats on buying them! They are pretty rare fish and endangered in the wild.

I got six juvies from dogofwar dogofwar and put them in a 30 gallon tank, thinking they were too young to breed. A couple of months later, I noticed two of them hanging out behind some driftwood. A few days later, I saw a ball of fry. The other four adults cowered in corners, behind plants and driftwood. The conspecific aggression wasn't terrible, in that no one got seriously injured or died, but it was a bit tense in the tank. I ended up moving the other four adults to my pond.

I think a 40 gallon breeder might work okay for a group of six. I had several pieces of wood and a fair amount of plants. Didn't try PVC, but it sounds like a good idea.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I keep my wild pair in a 15. I have a divider that I can add if the male gets a little aggressive but that seldom happens. Myrnae are quite mild compared to many Centrals. They like caves...

Matt

captmicha

Members
Thanks! I have them in a planted 15 high right now. They're still pretty little.

That will change soon.

I think they'd be great for a scape I want to try with horizontal driftwood, looks like a flooded forest.

BUT I'd really prefer to mimic their natural ecosystem, which is a river they were collected from.

Which my research tells me is both fast and slow... And has a sand bottom and a pebble bottom...

Last edited: