• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Crushed marble

Is crushed marble ok to use as gravel in a 75 gallon African cichlid tank...running 2 whisper 60s

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jefft

Members
Why??

Is crushed marble ok to use as gravel in a 75 gallon African cichlid tank...running 2 whisper 60s

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Not trying to be insulting or anything but why would you want to? I dont know what "crushed marble" looks like but I would love to see some pictures if you can take em and show us. I started out with a crushed coral argonite blend which was terribly expensive. Then I went to pebbled size crushed coral from argonite also very expensive, then I went to crushed shell blend also from argonite and terribly expensive, now I use a white pool filter sand which costs me 9.00 per 50 lbs and is stunning the fish also love to dig and landscape.

This final point is I suppose the most important point of what I am saying. If your substrate selection is too bulky or too heavy you will be missing out on some of the most fascinating behaviors your fish will display. Africans dig and spit dig and spit in the process they carve out dens, breeding areas, holes under rocks all sorts of landscaping happens in a tank with a light and easily moved "close to natural" substrate.