• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Crazy people

69cichlids

Members
How much should a used 125 gallon tank cost? Its well over 5 years old and comes with nothing, just a glass hood, no lights, filter nothing, he is asking $325 for it, I thought a rule of thumb was a buck a gallon...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lonlangione

Members
Depends on the condition of the tank as to whether it is scratched etc. Personally I wouldn't pay more that $100.00 for it and I would set it up in his driveway and fill it with a hose before buying it. I have a 150 in my basement that I didn't pay a nickle for and I was offered a 125 last year for free but I know Kurt was looking for one so I handed it off to him.

69cichlids

Members
Yeah, I offered 75 then 100...must think its gold lol been siting on cl for a year, I'm really looking at the 90 gal for 800 bucks "sarcasm"

verbal

CCA Members
I think for just a tank. $1/gallon seems reasonable for a large used tank. With the glass hood maybe $175 if it was in really good shape. If it has a stand, it seems up to 250-300 might be possible if the stand was really nice.

It also depends on your market. It seems some places there are a lot of people selling tanks cheap, and other places only a few overpriced lisitings.

69cichlids

Members
True, over here in iowa we pretty much have cl and ask thats on there are over priced tanks that have been there for months, until a few good priced ones pop up then they see gone that day

Rasta Fish

Members
it would be nice to get a 125g or a 180 for $200

Rule of thumb a buck a gallon..is a buyers choice
A seller can ask what ever he thinks he want or can get.

69cichlids

Members
True...sounds like I just landed a 125 full set up with stand and all the works for $150 :) a friend of a friend gerting out of the hobby...glad that other guy didn't take my $100 offer on his bare tank!

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
low balling the seller at the beginning with a $75.00 may have been taken as an insult. I know everybody states a dollar a gallon for used tanks. But have some of you actually considered the cost of glass? Go to a glass shop and try to get some as small as lids cut. The glass cost what the Big Box stores sell them for. I think glass is the one cost in this hobby that is pretty close to actual cost unless you buy glass in bulk like a glass shop.

dogofwar

CCA Members
It all depends on how much you're willing to pay and alternatives.

If the only alternative is to pay $400+ for a new one from the LFS...then $325 isn't too bad.

On the other hand, if there are lots of 125g+ tanks on the market and this guy is an outlier in price, then let him know what it reasonable. If he wants it gone, then $200 and getting it out yourself would have been reasonable but not insulting.

I bought a 180g set-up in great condition with an FX5 from a former club member for $400. It was his asking price and trying to shake him down would have been an insult.

Matt

69cichlids

Members
It all depends on how much you're willing to pay and alternatives.

If the only alternative is to pay $400+ for a new one from the LFS...then $325 isn't too bad.

On the other hand, if there are lots of 125g+ tanks on the market and this guy is an outlier in price, then let him know what it reasonable. If he wants it gone, then $200 and getting it out yourself would have been reasonable but not insulting.

I bought a 180g set-up in great condition with an FX5 from a former club member for $400. It was his asking price and trying to shake him down would have been an insult.

Matt

A new 125 tank set up at the lfs about 600 here. So after having to get a heater, filter, lights I might as well have gotten a new one...lucky I found a full set up for $150 :) got to get it asap before my other half changes her mind!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Patience Grasshoppers

Remember, it's always a buyer's market - more so for used equipment that comes with no guarantees of anything other than it being yours as soon as money changes hands. About every other month there's a free 75 or 90 on DC/Baltimore Craig's, and larger ones in that $1/gallon price range even more often. If I had a basement I wager I could find at least six such to put in it before year's end.

Wait for it...unless of course you're just jonesing and in that case patience be d*mned, or as Francine likes to say, "If it's not retail it's not therapy".

londonloco

Members
I usually figure 1$ per gallon for the tank. Everything else I go with 1/2 to 1/3 of original cost, depending on age. I bought my 125g with a cherry stand, glass lids, heater, sump, all plumbing and quiet one pump for 350$. I thought the price was fair.....

69cichlids

Members
I usually figure 1$ per gallon for the tank. Everything else I go with 1/2 to 1/3 of original cost, depending on age. I bought my 125g with a cherry stand, glass lids, heater, sump, all plumbing and quiet one pump for 350$. I thought the price was fair.....
Thats pretty fair, the guy over here was wanting $25 more then what you paid for just a bare tank, nothing with it.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Thats pretty fair, the guy over here was wanting $25 more then what you paid for just a bare tank, nothing with it.

I agree. when you add up filters heaters and lights etc its a bundle pkg sometimes the prices are very fair. you just have to watch out for deals like just said or the "large 55g tank " on cl w/ everything just add fish 700.00 :D.

69cichlids

Members
Well here is my 125 gal set up, and the custom stand thats not completely done yet, and my 80 gal underneath. I moved the williamis from a 30 gal into there

uploadfromtaptalk1335317814572.jpg

longstocking

Members
Generally I would say a buck a gallon until you get to the 100 gallon+ mark.... then 1.50 a gallon IMO. Thicker glass etc. raises the prices from the glass companies.. trickles down to you.

i have bought 3 125s off of CL and the most I have paid was $170 but it came with the glass tops and a couple of heaters with it..... I always say patience is a virtue when it comes to CL

mrkillie

Members
How much should a used 125 gallon tank cost? Its well over 5 years old and comes with nothing, just a glass hood, no lights, filter nothing, he is asking $325 for it, I thought a rule of thumb was a buck a gallon...

You can sometimes get new 125s for $1/gallon. $325 is ridiculous.