• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Crabs?

Cartel

Members
So I get bored easy and want to try something new. Inverts. Iv always liked crabs since I was little so i figured id try them. Anyone keep them? A good place for info and availability? Doing quick searches I seem to like the Patriot crabs (rainbow, moon, soap dish..etc) but if there is other cools ones im open to ideas. I know theres some invert peoples here! Thanks

maddog10

Members
I had crabs once!

I kept a Blue Crab (female) in a 20H for about a year. Also kept a few other, strictly saltwater, crabs over the past 25 years.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Here are some of the ones we found in Uruguay last year.

I didn't bring any back (others might have) but maybe this year, if anyone's interested in them...

There were also a variety of shrimp.

Matt

034_34.jpg

122_122.jpg

A

AlishanAS

Interesting crabs Matt. They look a bit like the marine squat lobsters.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - there were several varieties that we found. Some were more lobster-ish and some were more crab-ish. Different patterns as well. Forgot to get a bag in the last day packing...

Cartel

Members
I knew this thread would go there......just remember

Kill%20it%20With%20Fire%20Aliens.jpg

But back on topic. Those look sweet matt! I found some patriot crabs at HOT today. But if I could get something a little more unique id def hold out. I might have to wait for you trip.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
No kidding. We're bad, bad people DQ - we should be ashamed of ourselves... but, I'm not! :angel2:
you said it heee heee!:D we are missing that guy who gets drunk and plays with spoons to chime in.......shhhhh GEORGE george might see this. *tip toes out*:pound::FIREdevil:

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I can get alot of the different crab species you mentioned. Biggest issue is they ship poorly from overseas. I can put you in contact with a guy who has them once you decideon species. For me, the crabs (microcrabs which are safe with fish, don't require brackish, etc) remind me of ticks. i prefer shrimp and snails.

BevN

Members
I do still have some of the micro crabs left. I'm hoping to see youngins one f these days but I could spare a few. I don't know much about how they reproduce but they are similar in care to the crystal red which for me is still easier to keep than cherry shrimp....go figure.

The patriot or cardiosoma armatun are on a list out of Equador along with a red lobster, cherax caudricarinatus that are 4-5"!

That is about all I've seen on the list lately. Now I haven't looked at Glaser lately. I was waiting for them to get the paperword done to ship into BWI.....Harrisburg would have been great but oh well. I've gotten list from Czech and just went over that and nothing there. Nothing on the list from Peru either.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
you said it heee heee!:D we are missing that guy who gets drunk and plays with spoons to chime in.......shhhhh GEORGE george might see this. *tip toes out*:pound::FIREdevil:
Had to go and wake up the sleeping ogre:angry3::angry3:, didn't you:cool:? Bad things will happen to you:angry3::sign0055: if you keep doing that DQ.

How about miniature crayfish? Mine are about an inch to and inch and a quarter full grown. I suspect I could spare 6 of them Cartel. I'm not sure I know you but if you are coming to Richard's CCA burned meatfest, I would bring you some. Let me know.

George

Cartel

Members
Those sound pretty neat george! Yeah im pretty sure ill be at the meet. Just lemme know. Thanks

Now im interested in all kinds of things. I still want some crabs from matt too!

DonkeyFish

Members
Dwarf crays are cool as heck! Very peaceful (except amongst themselves), so be careful to not put them in with anyone aggressive. I have mine in a community tank with dwarf rainbows and cherry shrimp--the shrimp will literally sit on the crays heads with zero reaction from the crays. It is too funny!

You'll love them for sure!

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Dwarf crays are cool as heck! Very peaceful (except amongst themselves), so be careful to not put them in with anyone aggressive. I have mine in a community tank with dwarf rainbows and cherry shrimp--the shrimp will literally sit on the crays heads with zero reaction from the crays. It is too funny!

You'll love them for sure!
You put the crayfish in with Cherries? I would think my crays would tear Cherries apart. They tear each other apart. I bet you don't get baby Cherries. The Crays and Rainbows would eat them for sure.

I keep Cherries with Heterandia and Crayfish with nothing but snails that I can crush for them to eat.

Rachel, I hope your Crays are doing well.

George

DonkeyFish

Members
Isn't that funny? I actually have tons of baby cherries in that tank despite the crays. From everything I have witnessed they are ONLY aggressive towards eachother. And not out looking for trouble, it's like when you had to share a bedroom with your kid brother and ran the masking tape down the exact middle of the room to divide it up--they have their own space in the tank, and that's that. And the 'bows are the dwarf blue-eye variety they're tiny and peaceful too. Everybody gets along swimmingly! Everybody should have one tank without drama ;)

You put the crayfish in with Cherries? I would think my crays would tear Cherries apart. They tear each other apart. I bet you don't get baby Cherries. The Crays and Rainbows would eat them for sure.

I keep Cherries with Heterandia and Crayfish with nothing but snails that I can crush for them to eat.

Rachel, I hope your Crays are doing well.

George