• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Corrupting the Children...

Lively

Members
Well, *I* didn't buy the newest tank in the house. It appears I have corrupted my youngest two daughters - my 11 year old bought a 5 gallon bowfront and 3 fancy tailed guppies - being careful to choose ones she thought were "boys" - she doesn't want to have to deal with babies... My 8 year old got a beta - a girl beta no less. Each used her own spending money.

Oh, and my 20 month old loves to feed the fishies...

Lively

Members
You are such a good parent lively;)

ROFL - yeah I even taught my 11 year old what not to do. I was going to show her how to quick cycle the tank using my filter media - instead I showed her how to burn out a filter quicker than you can say "Guppy". I had her plug it in without any water in the tank :eek: and I had just said, "You have to be able to unplug this when you clean the tank, because...." grrgrindgrrrgrind noises...silence "you can't run the filter without water, you'll burn out the motor"

Luckily for both of us and even more so for the fish, I almost always have a spare filter hanging on one of the tanks. I think I'm just going to let her have the one I put on - Walmart fish, don't think I want it back... lol Although, I have to say the tanks at that Walmart seem to be well maintained and the fish there seem healthier than some lfs's I've seen.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Good for you Lively!

The next generation of fish keepers are in line now. You should try to bring them to one of our meetings, as a matter of fact did I mention for only $30 your whole family would become CCA Members for all of 2009.

That's right, you'll have your pretty little name in Green lights on our forum and....and have a ball at all of our meetings. Our Meetings have a wide variety of ages and if you want more info click on the link below. It will go over a few things about becoming a member.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?p=24654#post24654

RM

Lively

Members
You're too late trying to convince me... check is in the mail... and it is for $30.00 for the family! lol I did it earlier this week :)

You're too late trying to convince me... check is in the mail... and it is for $30.00 for the family! lol I did it earlier this week :)

You're like me , I did not need any convincing. I just went to the last meeting, had my 2 daughters on one hand and my 20 bucks in the other.:D

Lively

Members
I'm really hoping that I'll be able to come to April's meeting - I wouldn't mind my 11 year old coming with me - but the 8 year old would drive me up a wall and my 13 year old would just stare glassy-eyed and listen to her ipod (she like snakes, not fish) unless there was a cute boy in the crowd. The poor lone boy, my baby at 20 months would run around pointing at fish and say, "ishy" Very cute, but distracting... lol

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
LOL! Just tell her there's this new Jonas Brother Fish that will be on display;)

You could also say that iCarly and Hanna Montana( Miley) are strong advocates for the preservation of Cichlids in the world and that she should attend the next CCA meeting in order to show her support. LOL!

Richard

Lively

Members
ROFL! As with inculcating the children early with fish, we have done with music as well. I am fairly certian that the two older girls do not have any Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montanna tracks on the ipods :) The last time my 13 year old bought from the itunes store it was the complete track from Le Miz - but mainly she listens to rock - 70's 80's and some 90's, music is her thing her interest in fish is fleeting.

She does like the tank of juvies because they sound like a movie soundtrack of pirahna when they eat.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
My boys never had any interest in the fish.
My daughter used to help out when she was younger and now
has two tanks at here house. No Cichlids but thats okay. At least she has some fish.