• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cories and shrimp

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Will cory cats eat shrimp and/or the babies? Was considering setting up a cory/shrimp tank, but I don't want the shrimp to just feed the cories. I did a quick forum search and didn't see anything.

JasonC

Members
Cant give you voice of experience on this, but I do know that I see a lot of small planted tanks with the dwarf cories/shrimp as the inhabitants...

mchambers

Former CCA member
I have three tanks that just have corydoras and shrimp. The shrimp seem to reproduce just fine.

I've read concerns on various forums about this, with some folks claiming that the corydoras will gobble up all the shrimplets. Seems about as likely as cats catching all the birds in the sky. They may eat a few, but not many.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I haven't nocticed it and I have shrimp in with corys that would not be considered dwarf.

As Matt said, they might eat some shrimplets, but not enough to negatively impact the shrimp population as a whole.

Blaise

Becca

Members
I have a nice colony of Aspidoras in with a starter group of yellow neos and I seem to be seeing lots of baby neos, so I'd say they don't eat them, at least not to the point of killing off a colony.

If you would like some (or all) of my Aspidoras, let me know. I need space.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thanks guys. I have sterbai cories, so I'm glad to hear the bigger guys won't decimate the shrimp either. I'm fine with some disappearing as long as the colony still grows. The cories should stay nice and plump. I'll give it a try, if the shrimp population seems stagnant, I can always move the cories out if needed.

Becca - I have a group of about 6 of the aspidoras in a different tank, but I appreciate the offer. I think a group of 18 would make for a busy tank.