• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Coralife 65 Watt CF Fixture problems

mchambers

Former CCA member
I recently bought a used Coralife 65 watt compact fluorescent fixture, with bulb. The seller said the bulb was new. I took the fixture home and plugged it in and it looked great on a 29 gallon tank.

An hour later, I came back and the light was out. Since then, I've discovered that the light sometimes comes on when I push the bulb part way into the end cap, but usually on for a second or two. I tried cleaning off the contacts on the bulb, but that has made no difference.

I think the problem probably lies in the end cap, although I suppose it could be the bulb or the ballast. Having said that, I tend to think it has to do with how the bulb's pins are seated in the end cap. I don't want to buy another bulb to test, of course, because I don't want to waste more money on this.

Suggestions welcomed.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Sounds like a short — AFTER you unplug it might try probing/scraping the insides of the holes with a needle file (or a paper clip), may be some deposits in there. If that doesn't do it, plug it in, work it until you get the right pressure to light it up, and then use/wrap the end with electrician's or duct tape to maintain same. Could just be the wires are corroded inside and you'll have to cannibalize an older one and wire in a replacement cap. Much easier/cheaper than replacing a ballast or bulb.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I did try some limited poking inside the cap with a paper clip. (Yes, with the unit not plugged in.) :) So far, doesn't seem to have helped.

Good idea to wrap it, if I can get it to stay on.