• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Contractor suggestions

cholile

Members
Obviously needn't specifically be someone who deals with aquariums, but, I am interested in purchasing a large aquarium and putting it on the main floor in my house. I want to ensure the floor is reinforced so that it can hold the weight. I also want to have some other tanks set up in a separate room in-wall. The wall is a wood-paneled wall and I'd like to keep it that way. The tanks would also need a wooden stand.

Yes, I'm sure many could do all of this on their own but alas, in this area I'm rather incompetent.

If anyone has suggestions for someone that they know first-hand has done good work let me know. PM might be best. Thanks.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I have a friend who does rough and finish carpentry. Sent you a PM this morning.

cholile

Members
Sorry for clearly not providing enough pertinent information.

I live in Silver Spring, MD.

The earliest I'd be ready for this project is early February.

The tanks that I would want put into an existing wall (not load-bearing) with a stand for the two tanks and the sump below them (already set up to be one system) are two 33 gallon tanks (48" x 12" x 12") that would be above one another.

The main tank, which is the one that would need support, would be in a different room. I don't know the exact size yet, but I would want the floor to be reinforced so that it could easily hold 500 gallons, though I doubt I'll end up with a tank + sump that are more than 350 gallons.

I also plan on setting up the main tank with an automatic water change system, which is another reason it'd be ideal (though not critical) that the person have done projects like this for aquariums before.

As I said, I'm aware this isn't really that complicated but I'm not going to try to do this myself if I can find someone reliable who could do it for a reasonable price.

Hopefully this answers questions I received in the thread and in PMs to date. Thanks.

longstocking

Members
Let me ask my husband if he knows someone. I don't know if he could do this... although he does have some experience. Might need to get a couple people involved. An aquarium person and a structural engineer.

He might be willing to at least look at what you want and then tell you who to go hire. He knows tons of contrators in your area :)

cholile

Members
Thanks! I can probably find people who could determine what kind of support is needed (e.g. structural engineer) if the person doing the work didn't have enough knowledge in that area, but I do not know anyone who could actually do all of the work and do it well.