• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Compact Fluorescents With Peacocks?

Sonny Disposition

OK, as I think through my 65 gallon high show tank: I'll probably opt for Labidochromis caeruleus and an Aulonocara species. I'll silicone together a couple of big rock walls to provide territory. I'd also try growing some of my Potomac River val. It grows really well under a compact fluorescent tube, even without CO2.

Will the compacts be too bright for the Aulonocara? I read that in the wild, they're from deeper water than most of the Mbuna.

Are they afraid of/do they hide from/bright lights?

maddog10

Members
I am not a big fan of bright lights, but if you are growing plants it is needed. I would think that the fish will grow accustom to their environment over time and the bright light will not be an issue.

Charlutz

Members
The fish will be fine in bright light, but remember your thread about peacock color and Mike and Bob's experience with the warehouse. I was talking to another breeder a few days ago and mentioned bringing a camera when I visited his tanks, and he gave a similar account to what we talked about - his believed his wild fish bred more and ahad better color when kept with little light. They'll do fine with the light. Most people want the light so they can see their fish. But you may want to play with it to get a balance.

Sonny Disposition

Thanks everybody! I'll have to see how it goes. BTW, I've heard contradictory things about the lighting. The experience with OFNF contrasts with Submariner's, who raises his fish in a room with bright indirect sunlight. He says raising baby fish with a lot of bright sunlight is responsible for good color.

As long as the aulonocara won't be frightened or hide, then I'll try the compact with them.

The fish will be fine in bright light, but remember your thread about peacock color and Mike and Bob's experience with the warehouse. I was talking to another breeder a few days ago and mentioned bringing a camera when I visited his tanks, and he gave a similar account to what we talked about - his believed his wild fish bred more and ahad better color when kept with little light. They'll do fine with the light. Most people want the light so they can see their fish. But you may want to play with it to get a balance.[/b]