• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Community / Tropical Fish Help ?

eden2020

Members
I recently led a friend to a fish store I trust locally to add some fish to his wife's 55g tank. She takes wonderful care of her tank and fish, truly cares about it, and it shows..

Problem is that after she purchased 6 fish and brought them home, not only did they die, but a few fish she has had for a while too. Including a couple really nice Rainbows (blue) and a Gourami of some sort. Ick was most likely the culprit, the tank itself was well established.

Now I feel like I failed them. Unfortunately I am a Cichlid keeper and other than a molly, zebra danios, or the like, I don't deal with Tropical tanks.

I am wondering what you "experts" would recommend getting this tank back in order with. I would like to see a nice small school of something, relative harmony, good color and hardy. Asking too much?

Also- any in CCA breeding quality fish that can be recommended.

Currently- she has a pair or trio of Corys, maybe a Gourami left and a couple small odd balls. I will get the specifics when I talk with them soon..

Thanks- Marc and family..

Too bad about the fish deaths. It is a bit odd. If only the new fish died, it would seem to be a problem with acclimation. Since existing fish died, too, it's possible she overwhelmed the biological colony for the tank or introduced an illness. The latter, though, should have been observable in most cases.

there are so many ways to go with a 55 that is sort of impossible to make useful recommendations. So a few thoughts:

If she's willing to get rid of the current inhabitants, a 55 would be nice for a low-key mbuna tank. She could get some lace rock and add some crushed coral to the substrate or filters and get a nice group of yellow labs and p. acei (I have this tank right now) with a few synodontis, perhaps lucipinis, which stay small. All three of these fish can be purchased from CCA members. This is an easy tank.

If she wants to keep the cories (but get rid of the gourami!), she could do a new world tank. She could add a nice school of rummynose tetras (or another sort of tetra) and then get a group of 5 bolivian rams or even a pair of rainbow cichlids (my particular favorite). Both of these are also bred by CCA members and are low key to take care of. She should add some cories to the bunch, though, as they do best in groups of at least 6

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think a 55 would look awesome with a large group of tetras of some sort - lemons, bleeding hearts, serpae. They would be fine with the gourami.

I don't know of many in the club breeding tetras. Tony had some buenos aires and I know Blaise has breeding danios, but not sure on tetras.

verbal

CCA Members
Cichlids tend to be a little more forgiving, but most of the aquarium maintenance concepts are the same. If there are some rainbows left, rebuilding the rainbow school and increasing the cory school are probably the first additions to make.

In a 55 with cories and rainbows there are a number of community cichlids that could work if they want to go that direction.

In terms of the health of the tank, it is key to make sure the disease has run its course. Also even if they are from trusted sources, a quarantine tank is key. If another permanent tank is not an option, a clear storage container with a heater and aged sponge filter can work for a few weeks.

eden2020

Members
Thanks

Great info so far.. I actually have Cop. Mloto Ivoryhead, Lethrinops Red Chirwa, and several yellow lab fry that I told them they were welcome to if they wanted, but not sure they want to go that route...

I like the tetra idea and personally really like the variety of rainbows available, but never actually kept them.

I have small Syno Multis (recently had some success breeding them) and am familar with Petricolas (have 9 or 10 right now), so those are something I am comfortable helping her with as well..

Didn't know that cories school like that. If I don't know what type they are can I mix groups? I would assume size is important to match up.

I know about quarantine tanks, but they have never used one. Shame is the fish they bought were fine but the centralized fish keep ing systems introduce water from other tanks that you may have not even looked at.

Keep the ideas coming.. I like the options thus far..

-Marc and family..

Cories appear to be somewhat particular and like to be in groups of their own kind. Matt in our group breeds lovely gold laser cories (not sure the right name). They are super cute.

mchambers

Former CCA member
There are many Matts in the club, but I'm the one who has gold laser corydoras (CW010) from time to time. Right now, I don't have any extras, but hope to get them breeding again soon. Frank Cowherd breeds lots of cool corydoras, including Sterbai, Paleatus, and Pandas.

Corydoras in the wild are typically in large groups and in the aquarium they seem to better in groups of at least six, as Holly said. Generally, however, they don't truly school, in my experience. The Yellow Cat (Corydoras C123) that I spoke about at the last meeting does school more than other corydoras I've kept, at least when you have 20 or more in a single tank. You'll see a group of 10 or so suddenly head off in a particular direction.