• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Combining Mbunas

Sonny Disposition

OK. So I'm beginning to get the algae problem in the Labidochromis Reef tank under control. I pulled out the labs and the ruby reds, and switched them with Melanochromis johanni and Maylandia sp. "long pelvic." There's a lot of aggression in the tank, but it's so diffuse, nobody is getting hurt. Also in the tank are two yellow labs that didn't make the breeding program, and a small feral jewel fish that escaped me, even though I drained the tank nearly dry. Three of Frank's albino ancistrus also do algae patrol.

I feed only two or three times a week, and sparingly at that: three spirulina wafers. The long pelvics and the johanni are doing really well. The labs and the jewel fish look a little skinny, so I'll probably need to take them out eventually. The Val is starting to recover from the peroxide incident (I must have miscalculated and over dosed.)

So I like the idea of a tank of algae eaters. Less maintainence, fewer water changes.

My question: does anyone on this forum have experience combining Mbuna species in a similar setup? What species have you tried?

Would one of the Julidochromis species work with, say, a maylandia or a melanochromis species? (I like the coloring of the Julidochromis, but don't have any experience with them.) Any other combinations that you've been successful with? What I like about the mbuna is that both males and females are colorful.

Thanks.

Sonny Disposition

Oh yeah, but in different tanks. I mostly like to breed fish, and I don't need a show tank for breeding. (Most of my fish are in barebottom tanks, with rocks, bricks, pvc, and ceramic castles for cover.)

Labidochromis reef is my only show tank, and I like the idea of keeping algae eaters like Mbunas in show tanks--it cuts down on the upkeep.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pnlkman @ Nov 19 2008, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Are you keeping the labs and the Ruby Reds?[/b]

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I've never kept Julies, I've always heard people advising against keeping them with Mbuna. Not sure if it's a size problem or a mixing of the lakes problem or an aggression

problem. Mixing of the lakes is mostly a personal preference I believe as I've known many people who have done it successfully, but I don't recall anyone keeping Julies with

Mbuna. As far as mixing Mbuna, the Johanni is a relatively calm species for the Melanochromis family. IME they seem to kinda keep to themselves and just go with the flow. I

believe the Maylandia (Metriaclima) species you have is a bit more aggressive, but nothing to worry about as long as there's plenty of room or hiding spaces or both. I had the

Johanni with a Metriaclima species and a Cynotilapia. They spawned like crazy and the females were only interested in the males of their species. Not sure if I answered your

question, but hope that helps.

Sonny Disposition

Thank you.

I'm apparently confusing lakes. I thought Julies were from Malawi. My mistake.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swim lil fishy swim @ Nov 19 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've never kept Julies, I've always heard people advising against keeping them with Mbuna. Not sure if it's a size problem or a mixing of the lakes problem or an aggression

problem. Mixing of the lakes is mostly a personal preference I believe as I've known many people who have done it successfully, but I don't recall anyone keeping Julies with

Mbuna. As far as mixing Mbuna, the Johanni is a relatively calm species for the Melanochromis family. IME they seem to kinda keep to themselves and just go with the flow. I

believe the Maylandia (Metriaclima) species you have is a bit more aggressive, but nothing to worry about as long as there's plenty of room or hiding spaces or both. I had the

Johanni with a Metriaclima species and a Cynotilapia. They spawned like crazy and the females were only interested in the males of their species. Not sure if I answered your

question, but hope that helps.[/b]

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Sounds to me like you've got a very viable excuse to set up another tank. I love coming up with reasons to tell the wife I need another tank, she on the other hand.... How big is

Mbuna tank? That will determine how many species you can keep if you choose the species' wisely.

Sonny Disposition

I've already got in excess of 15. I think I'm going to hold off for awhile.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swim lil fishy swim @ Nov 19 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sounds to me like you've got a very viable excuse to set up another tank. I love coming up with reasons to tell the wife I need another tank, she on the other hand.... How big is

Mbuna tank? That will determine how many species you can keep if you choose the species' wisely.[/b]

Tim

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Nov 19 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My question: does anyone on this forum have experience combining Mbuna species in a similar setup? What species have you tried?[/b]

I see someone already recommended passing on the Julidochromis. There are a number of arguments against mixing fish from different areas. Much of it has to do with water parameters, the rest of them have to do with being able to recognize behavioral signs. Example, does a raised dorsal fin mean the same for both. For all the arguments against it, there's just as many people or more keeping species from different lakes in the same tank. I agree it's a matter of preference.

For Mbuna, it's my personal opinion that which species you can and can't mix depends greatly on tank size. I've always been one of those tank snobs who think ALL mbuna should be in a 75 gallon tank or larger. Someone like Pat who's bred P. saulosi for years in a 30 gallon would most likely disagree with me. ;)

Some general guidelines:

Avoid fish that have the same coloration.
Avoid fish that are known to hybridize easily. (Again coloration may have a lot to do with it.)
Try not to mix fish with different dietary needs. Like mixing Peacocks with Mbuna. Again, others will have their own opinions which they're entitled to.
Most of all, just do some research first.

Not all Mbuna are created equal. Most are algae grazers. Some Labidochromis species are insectivores. Some Cynotilapia and Melanochromis species are omnivores. The non-algae grazers tend to be a bit less agressive. However, some algae grazers like P. acei are used to living in colonies and are also not as aggressive as species like Melanochromis auratus.

I like the idea of justifying more tanks. That's always a good thing. :D
Tim

Sonny Disposition

Thanks, Tim. I'm new to cichlids and I keep mixing up terms. When I asked about Julidochromis, I had confused them with the female Melanochromis auratus.

I've since realized the error, and while this looks like a really neat species, I'm thinking that since this is the same genus as the Melanochromis johanni that I'm currently keeping, combining the two species would be a bad idea on several fronts.

I probably should have been more specific in my question.

So, specifically, I'm interested in combinations of algae-grazing Mbunas, like the Pseudotropheus sp. "long pelvic" and the M. johanni I'm currently keeping in my show tank.

As far as setting up more tanks, I'm reaching a limit on what I can reasonably take care of, so I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Thanks Tim.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tim @ Dec 4 2008, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Nov 19 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question: does anyone on this forum have experience combining Mbuna species in a similar setup? What species have you tried?[/b]

I see someone already recommended passing on the Julidochromis. There are a number of arguments against mixing fish from different areas. Much of it has to do with water parameters, the rest of them have to do with being able to recognize behavioral signs. Example, does a raised dorsal fin mean the same for both. For all the arguments against it, there's just as many people or more keeping species from different lakes in the same tank. I agree it's a matter of preference.

For Mbuna, it's my personal opinion that which species you can and can't mix depends greatly on tank size. I've always been one of those tank snobs who think ALL mbuna should be in a 75 gallon tank or larger. Someone like Pat who's bred P. saulosi for years in a 30 gallon would most likely disagree with me. ;)

Some general guidelines:

Avoid fish that have the same coloration.
Avoid fish that are known to hybridize easily. (Again coloration may have a lot to do with it.)
Try not to mix fish with different dietary needs. Like mixing Peacocks with Mbuna. Again, others will have their own opinions which they're entitled to.
Most of all, just do some research first.

Not all Mbuna are created equal. Most are algae grazers. Some Labidochromis species are insectivores. Some Cynotilapia and Melanochromis species are omnivores. The non-algae grazers tend to be a bit less agressive. However, some algae grazers like P. acei are used to living in colonies and are also not as aggressive as species like Melanochromis auratus.

I like the idea of justifying more tanks. That's always a good thing. :D
Tim
[/b][/quote]