• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Collection Trips in South America

As many of you know I loved living in Peru and Brazil and have been dying to go back. I have been letting a few of you know that I am going to be doing collection trips down there and am happy to announce this is a go!!!!:D:D:D:D

As of now tours are going to be done out of Peru in Pucallpa and Iquitos. I have several different trips arranged for next year starting in April. I have three different trips planed that will be from 12 days to 18 days. On these trips I will give you a tour of the city, taking you out to collect fish w/ a local collector and arrange to have fish you collect to come back with you.

Right now I am just getting a feel for how many people would be interested in these trips. I'm working out finalized prices if your interested in a particular trip please feel free to contact me. The prices will include food, hotel, and traveling arrangements while in Peru. Trip info as well as what fish you can expect to collect below.

The small creeks in the jungle

Time: 10 Days
Date: TBD
Minimum number of visitors: 4, maximum 7
Prices: on request

Fish: Apistogramma species (A. atahualpa, A. bitaeniata, A. agassizii, A. eunotus, A. alpahuayo, A. norberti, A. spp), Aequidens spp., Chrenicichla spp., Nannostomus trifasciatus, Nannostomus marginatus, Pyrrhulina spp., Copeina guttata, Copella spp.,Microcharacidium spp., Characidium spp., Hyphessobrycon (H. loretoensis, H. spp.), Hemigrammus spp., Rivulus spp., Knifefish, but also a lot of different species of frogs (Ranitomeya reticulatus, R. ventrimaculata, Ameerega hahneli) and much, much more

Around Iquitos there is an uncountable amount of small and bigger creeks, locally known as "Quebradas". In these Quebradas, creeks in the jungle which are sometimes only 30 centimeters wide, we can find a lot of interesting species, especially small fish like Apistogramma species and many different tetras, and much more.

Fishing at the beaches of the jungle

Time: 2 Weeks
Date: TBD
Minimum number of visitors: 4, maximum 7

Fish: Pseudohemiodon apithanos, P. lamina, P. "Royal", P. "Mariposa", P. spp., other Loricaria species, Panaqulos changae, Corydoras sychri (normal and long nose), Corydoras loretoensis, Nannoptopoma spp., Sturisoma spp., Otocinclus spp., Tatia spp., Pimelodeon spp., Ancistrus spp., Potamotrygon spp., Heros spp., Geophagus spp., angelfish, discus, Hoplias spp., Apareiodon itaya, Bryconops spp., Characidium spp. and much, much more

The Rio Nanay and the Rio Itaya are two of the most interesting rivers in the area, especially for people looking for rare catfish species. Both these rivers flow into the mighty Amazon river close to the city. During the dry season we will find many different beautiful beaches, perfect habitats for species living in sand.

Deep in the jungle - Looking for discoveries

Time: 2 Weeks Date: TBD
Minimum number of visitors: 3, maximum 5

Fish:Apistogramma species, Aequidens spp., Chrenicichla spp., angelfish, Nannostomus spp., Pyrrhulina spp., Copeina guttata, Copella spp.,Microcharacidium spp., Characidium spp., Poecilocharax weitzmani, Crenuchus spilurus, Paracheirodon innessi, Hyphessobrycon spp., Hemigrammus spp., Rivulus spp., knifefish species, Otocinclus cocama, Corydoras spp., Ancistrus spp., Panaquolus spp. and much, much more

Less comfort but more adventure is what you'll find on this tour if you want to visit the deep, untouched jungle of Peru, this is the perfect tour for you. It is a trip for everyone who wants to leave civilization behind and look for interesting, new species. We will follow the Rio Yarapa as far as possible. Close to it´s headwaters we will hopefully find the habitat of Otocinclus cocama, the famous zebra Otocinclus. The way there will take us through the last parts of the primary Peruvian jungle. On the way we will collect fish at many places, in the river and also in close Quebradas, small creeks. Also we have the opportunity to see some bigger and rare animals like caymans, different species of monkeys, sloths and more. Prerequisite of this tour is a good physical condition.

Last edited: