• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Collecting in the Amazon - Napo & Mazan rivers

mab

Members
I'm excitedly starting to pack for my trip to the Amazon. I leave on Friday (22nd) and return on 8 Feb. In total I'll spend 13 days collecting on the Amazon, Napo, & Mazan. The 14th day of collecting will be in Iquitos where I've arranged to collect Pearl Gouramis - yes, they too have invasive species due to "hobbyist" releases.

I'm taking an eight gigabit card in my still camera and a 32 gig card in my new Kodak Zi8 so I hope to have plenty of pictures and videos for the March meeting. That is if the cameras don't fail as has happened on every collecting trip I've taken.

I just finished a new rack with 10-10gs, 3-20g longs, and a 30" 30 breeder --all but five of the 10gs are cycling in preparation for what comes back. I also have several other tanks ready--sizes from 110g to 2.5g.

chris_todd

Members
The 14th day of collecting will be in Iquitos where I've arranged to collect Pearl Gouramis - yes, they too have invasive species due to "hobbyist" releases.

Have an awesome time, and be safe. We're all jealous!

Get a couple extra Pearl Gouramis for me - I love those fish, and it would be cool to say I have South American Pearl Gouramis! :D

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sounds awesome Mike. Would love to go along some day.

Looking forward to seeing the pics, the new fish and new room configuration.

Be careful and have fun. Oh yeah, and don't drink too much. ;)

PS: Grab me some mbuna when you're down there. :p

chris_todd

Members
1 liter beers are $1 each on board. Since I'm on vacation I'm not commuting on the toll road so I'm saving for 3.5 beers a day. Sounds like beer money!!

I just spent twenty bucks on four pints - maybe I need to move to Brazil!

Sounds like you'll have a seriously good time, Mike!

Felicidades!

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Just don't clean out the whole Amazon. Leave us a few for August. I think Francine wants you to bring her back one of those really friendly snakes they have down there.:lol:

George

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Michael, hope you have wonderful time down South...South America that is.:cool:

Make sure you enjoy the awesome landscaping and freshly made food from SA, which in my opinion is truly organic.
Take lots of naps and catch lots of fish. Oh, don't forget to bring back plenty of pictures to share as well.:jumpy:

Nevertheless, make sure you take advantage of every little second away from the wife too. LOL! :lol:Just Kidding.
:)))

And last but not least, make sure you have yourself a nice big steak with a rich glass of Red Wine while observing a glorious Sunset. :)

Trust me Michael, a day there lasts a week and to me that's a vacation.

Have fun!

Good Luck and Vaya con Dios.

Richard

toddnbecka

Members
Humidity is probably the cause of the camera issues, I'd try keeping them sealed in plastic bags when not in use. A few silica gel packs may also be helpful. Best of luck, and don't forget aspirin to go with all that beer.

mab

Members
And last but not least, make sure you have yourself a nice big steak with a rich glass of Red Wine while observing a glorious Sunset. :)
Richard

Not much in the way of decent beef in the jungle and not much in the way of respectable wine makes it there either. However, I will enjoy some "glorious sunsets."

If I was off to the pampas I'm sure I could find a decent bife!

Michael