• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cold weather shipping

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I have never done it but you do it overnight with heat packs. I once knew a guy with a fish store and he shipped in when the weather was warm and hit the wholesaler in the winter. Good luck if you try it.

George

fischfan13

Banned
Warm coat and a hat are a must!

fish460.jpg

mscichlid

Founder
The thing about heat packs that a lot of people don't realize is that they need to breathe air in order to continue to produce the heat as stated on their instructions.

I learned from Joe Szelesi that you would have to cut a hole in the styro and tape the heat pack over the hole. The
styro was then put into a box with a small hole ( ink pen size) was poked approx. where the heat pack was positioned in the styro.

Many times I have received shipments in the winter where the fish were cold as well as the heat pack; and when you took out the heat pack while trying to warm up the fish, the heat pack would reactivate and continue working.

Hans would be someone great to talk to about this due to the amount of fish he ships. Ron Nielson would be another, but he isn't on the forum enough to be of much assistance.

longstocking

Members
Shipping in the winter is actually easier for me than the summer. You can gage how many heat packs you need by what the lowest temp will be. I have shipped in sub zero weather and the fish got there in 70 degree water.

Use at least 48 hour heat packs incase they are a day late.

Franny is right... make sure air is getting to the heat pack. I make my own styos to ship in so there are small gaps already ... no need to punch a hole in the box. But if you are using already made containers punch a small hole in the box.

After years of doing this... winter is easier for me as they will never get too hot... they won't sit in UPS truck and cook to death ect. General rule is anything below 60 use a heat pack. Below 30 use two... below 10 use 3. Now this is me shipping in small boxes usuallly two bags or so. Big boxes... more sapce to heat... you have to use more.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Only shipped one time in winter with no problems but I too used the heat pack over the hole trick.
Hans taught me that one.
He even gave a talk on it one time at a meeting.

toddnbecka

Members
I've shipped loads of fish, snails, and plants in cold weather with heat packs. If the temps aren't below freezing I don't use styro insulation. I do use breather bags, even with heat packs, and haven't had any problems since the boxes (even lined w/styro) aren't actually airtight. I either reuse boxes I've received lined w/styro or cut some to fit when necessary. I get it from Lowe's, sold for insulation between wall joists.
Incidentally, I never ship Express, though if the destination is relatively close Priority or UPS ground will have it there the next day. I use 72 hour heat packs exclusively. I'm not shipping delicate species (Cyp's or calvus) this way, but for hardier cichlids, pleco's, etc. it's fine IME.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I ship a whole lot in the winter as well. i use the methods outlined above. i line my boxes with styro designed for industrial insulation (similar to the stuff found at the hardware store). I use 60-72 hour heat packs no matter what as the smaller the heat pack the higher the peak temp. 60 hour heat pack actually lasts more like 72-84 hours. I am sure to insulate the boxes very well with plenty of packing materials and use a heat pack top and bottom for small boxes and one for each side for large boxes (full fish box or larger). I have a very high survival rate with this method shipping fish or invertebrates. I prefer express this time of year as often its second day if going south or past mid-west.

Jumbie

Members
Just got some fish in the mail on Tuesday, the person did not use the pin hole method, just 2 heat packs in a box. When I got the package the water was ice cold two fish were DOA and 2 had ick. If I ever need to ship fish I will make sure to the pin hole method.

toddnbecka

Members
Heat packs are actually intended to keep the water from freezing, not really to keep it warm. I shipped out several packages priority mail and UPS between last Sat and Mon, 8 cichlids and 17 juvie BN, along with several bags of plants. I use styro to insulate the boxes, heat packs, and breather bags. Everything arrived in good shape except for 1 extra BN in a cichlid shipment. No clue what happened there, the 6 fish were bagged individually and the 5 cichlids were fine. The box of 3 cichlids sent out on Sat arrived Tue, and was left outside in the cold for several hours after delivery. The water was cold but the fish were/are fine.
Again, it depends on the fish in question. I wouldn't expect neons or hatchets to survive the same conditions. Cichlids and catfish are generally hardy critters IME.