• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cold in Florida

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Hey folks, it was cold at my house this morning. Many of you know where I live. No sympathy when you are in single digits or even worse, right? I live on the water just an eighth of a mile or so from the Gulf of Mexico. Got into the 30s at my house. Big deal, right.

Well inland from me and even a bit south it got even colder. Can you say freezing. Again, big deal, right? Some of you may know that not much south of me are the fish farms that supply your exotics. They were hit hard. I am sure it does not make your news because the ornamental fish trade is no big deal in your economy. My friends know ('cause I told them) ornamental fish is the largest cargo out of Tampa International by weight and dollar value. My news is full of this and you can plan on paying more for fish but you can also figure to get more for yours when you sell them.

I will be there end of next week for the BFD. Think warm for me, will you. I have been here three years now and get cold fast. I know - suffer with us.

GLADLY! Join you soon on the frozen tundra.

George

lkelly

Members
Ouch, that's bad news. Were there a lot of losses? I always wondered if they tried to have a contingency system for heating the tanks when there was an unexpected temperature drop. I would think that covering them with something insulated would be a first step.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
It was actually on the TV news that they tried to bring many inside. If you have ever seen the ponds you know that is not easy. This happened before in 2010 and they recovered so I wouldn't worry too much. Just found it interesting.