• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cloudy fins on Chocolate Gouramis

Becca

Members
I have a trio of Chocolate Gouramis who are showing cloudy fins, some clamping. I treated with pimafix and melafix for a week, plus sat at about 1 tsp per gallon and it cleared up. Within a day or two of a water change and discontinuing treatment, it came back. The one with the worst issue (low man on the totem pole) is keeping its tail fin clamped all the time. The others just have cloudy spots and occasional clamping.

I added some peat pellets to the filter this AM to see if it helps any. Of course, these are sensitive fish that are a PITA to keep, but I've kept them before and always on tap water with lots of driftwood, etc. to release tannins. I've never seen this particular issue before. The tank they are in is planted and the other fish seem unaffected by whatever this is.

Any ideas?

neut

Members
Sounds like you're already experienced with them, but imo you're on the right track with peat-- or driftwood, almond leaves, or other source of tannins in the water-- since tannins tend to have some anti-bacterial, anti-fungal effect. IMO a food that has garlic might help also.

Love choc gouramis, but as you implied, so sensitive. Used to keep them with discus and cardinals or other gentle tankmates, warm water but not too warm, plants and driftwood for cover and/or lights not too bright, good filtration but not too much current, plenty of water changed but not too much, they liked live foods like brine shrimp or worms but could also get sick from live foods... :rolleyes:

Even babying them they seem somewhat fragile. If I kept them now I'd feed them a food with garlic (possibly Thera-A if they'd take to it) and replace live foods with freeze dried.

Last edited:

Becca

Members
Even babying them they seem somewhat fragile. If I kept them now I'd feed them a food with garlic (possibly Thera-A if they'd take to it) and replace live foods with freeze dried.

They seemed improved last night, so I skipped the salt bath I was planning. I'm currently feeding Spectrum, which I think has garlic, and an occasional treat of very thoroughly rinsed black worms. The blackworms were more for the Dario hysignon, who was, until recently, refusing non-live foods.