• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cleaning Tank Glass

Spine

Members
I have some unused tanks and several operating ones that really need a good cleaning. It's mostly mineral deposits on the glass along with the regular stuff that accumulates around the top rim. If you're trying to take pictures dirty glass is a pain.

As a experiment I've cleaned two of the unused ones. First I rinsed the tank with hot water, let it drain and then used some white vinegar and a tooth brush/scrub pad. Some of the heavier deposits I presoaked, it worked ok, but there were still deposits left on the front glass.

I was really working up a sweat with the vinegar method so I decided to try something else. I wanted something that dissolved the deposits and didn't take as much elbow grease. I used CLR (Calcium,Lime,Rust)cleaner 50/50 with warm water and it seem to work better. Since the instruction say its safe for coffee pots I figured it won't poison my fish as long as I rinse the tank well. I'm worried that CLR might affect the tank sealant. Has anyone had any experience with this? I followed the instructions they say not to leave it on more than two minutes so I don't think I over did anything. I've done two 20g tanks so far I'm going to fill them(water,feederfish)and see what happens. I want to test these smaller tanks first before I clean any big tank with this method.

What methods do you use?

Cichlidiot

Members
I've always done th vinegar solution method and it works well. For the tougher areas a good scraping with a razor blade works nicely.

lonlangione

Members
Kevin,

I have used CLR straight out of the bottle. Just keep going over the area with the solution and after a day you should be able to get most of it. I have heard of people using muratic acid, but I never tried it. I never got up the nerve to work with this stuff. I know if you use it, it is best to do it outdoors. A new single edged razor blade in a scrapper helps a lot. We bought 35-15 gallons from Mark at Exotic Aquatics and we cleaned them up. If the tanks are really caked, you will not get it all off. The glass actually becomes "etched". Just like frosted glass.

Good luck, Lonny

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm a fan of washing the big stuff off with a garden hose...and then using a single edge razor blade for the rest. Quick and easy vs. chemical or elbow grease solutions!

iamzrad

Members
I use a mix of 50/50 water and vinegar solution.
Works like a charm.
Let the mix soak a bit, then scrub off or use a razor to get off deposits.

longstocking

Members
I went to some pretty bad extremes to get something off my tank. Easy Off... the stuff that gets anything off LOLOL.

Now I just use a razor blade, scrubing pad, micro fiber towel and water.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I have some that are etched and will never come clean but sometimes I have found that scrubbing with salt has helped.

George

longstocking

Members
LMAO.... yes. That stuff will take anything off.

Granit this was on the outside of a tank... I wouldn't try it for a good cleaning.

Julie

Members
I've tried lots of things... but the best I found was:

1) Sarah
and
2) Bill's daughter Amber!

and my arms didn't ache afterwards at all! :D

longstocking

Members
lol....

I hate dirty glass it drives me CRAZY !! I want to see the fish !! Isn't that the point of keeping fish? So you can see them :p