• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

CL..wc. tropheus..

verbal

CCA Members
i'd have a really hard time paying WC prices on CL without some serious paperwork backing it up

Agreed

I might do Tropheus at some point, but I would be a little nervous buying from CL on something that specialized

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not that I'm in the market for groups of Tropheus but it would be pretty easy to find out whether the seller is full of crap. I'm wary of most things sold on CL :)

What do folks consider an acceptable per fish price for a wild (or domestic) group of 3-5" Tropheus?

F1s from Dave or most places are ~$15-20 each...

Matt

Agreed

I might do Tropheus at some point, but I would be a little nervous buying from CL on something that specialized

eelsnot

Members
Plus it is small groups of 4 species. Separated there will be aggression problems, kept together they will hybridize.

eelsnot

Members
There is 7 of one species, 6 of another and 5 each of two others. The two types of brichardi will hybridize if kept together and so will the red rainbow and illangi. It's fine if you just want to watch the fish with no breeding plans. It's just not how trophs are commonly kept.

dogofwar

CCA Members
+1

Especially if you want to successfully breed them...

My initial reaction was that a group of 23 wild fish for $500 isn't a bad deal was based on not knowing that it's a mixed bag.

I've heard of folks keeping groups of 5 (1M/4F) Tropheus but it's asking for trouble...as is mixing types.

Still, assuming that all of the fish truly are wild, ~$15-20 seems like a pretty darn good deal for a 3-5" wild Tropheus. What are they at an LFS? $60-70 each...if even available?

Matt

There is 7 of one species, 6 of another and 5 each of two others. The two types of brichardi will hybridize if kept together and so will the red rainbow and illangi. It's fine if you just want to watch the fish with no breeding plans. It's just not how trophs are commonly kept.

Rasta Fish

Members
They are definately some really nice Tropheus types
Meh!...Not sure about the wild caught thing but could be who knows .., but if these are legit even for that price @ that size its not a bad deal

Ading522

Members
Yes - one would need to look at them or speak to the guy who owns them before purchasing.

Either way, what do you think a 3-5" male wild Tropheus should cost?

matt

If Dave's f1 is at 1" $15 and wild caught at 2.5" $25 , depending on the type of male tropheus would range anywhere from $30-50 in my opinion..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tparker

Members
I would not purchase because theres several different variants listed. The ilangii being the more expensive and colorful of the group. You stand a high chance of hybridizing. And due to aggression tropheus need to be kept in large groups. Also due to frequent bloat vegetable diet is essential.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Leffler817

CCA Members
Back in April of 2012 it was published that Tropheus Illangi were over fished in Lake Tanganyika. The fish is now near extinction in the wild. There was a big push on the web for fish keepers not to buy wild caught Illangi to discourage the exporters from killing off the species in Lake Tang. Valley Aquatics is an importer of wild caught fish from Lake Tang. He will not bring them in anymore. To answer Matt's question, he sells WC trophs for $23-$45 each.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app