• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cichlid Tank Question/Idea

Rfreddy321

Members
I have a well established African cichlid tank that is about 7 years old. When I originally began keeping cichlids the store (can't remember the name but was way up GA AVE) told me to add a small amount of salt, one tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. I have not added any salt to the water for over 4 years and I keep getting salt buildup that goes over and ruins the top glass and the tank top.

My idea is to catch the few fish I have in the tank, keep them in a small aquarium, take out all of the rocks, water and clean the tank with water to get rid of any salt remains. Refill the tank with just fresh water and 8.2 proper Ph, put in instant cycle product and let it come up to the proper temperature and reintroduce the fish.

Problems and/or recomendations, just can't handle the salt anymore.

Its not salt. Its disolved solids, if your ph is high there's a good chance you gh and kh are high as well. If so there's many things in this white crust. As stated calcium is one of the main things. How do you keep your tank at 8.2%? A buffer? What's in it?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Its not salt. Its disolved solids, if your ph is high there's a good chance you gh and kh are high as well. If so there's many things in this white crust. As stated calcium is one of the main things. How do you keep your tank at 8.2%? A buffer? What's in it?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

What brand of salt? bc certain salts have mineral additives for salt water reef set up.
Also what do you add when you do water changes? How much evaporation do you have? I ask bc if you have a large amount of evaporation and don't top of with fresh non salted water when you do a water change and add salted water your salinity has been slowly increasing over time. Do you have a hydrometer?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app