• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Chuco Micropthalmus

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I was lucky enough to get a lead on some beautiful chuco micropthalmus and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to pick up this breeding pair plus an extra female. The male is around 9", the females are about 2" smaller. Here are some not so wonderful pictures. Here's hoping I can get them to breed for me.

Jon
Pictures 1 & 2 are the male.
Picture 3 is both females.
Picture 4 is the breeder female.

100_0160.jpg

100_0158.jpg

100_0152.jpg

100_0155.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Really, really, really nice, Jon!

(I'm talking about the scotti pike in the corner of the last picture, of course ;))

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Congrats on the pickup, Jon.

From what I read, they can be real bruisers when spawning. Good luck man. :)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'm pretty excited about keeping them. They are F1's from Rio Copan and have bred for their previous Owner. I need to move some stuff around to make sure that if/when they breed again there aren't any losses.

In nature, they are a riverine fish that lives in a decent current. I'd like to set up some sort of circulation to help mimic this effect as well as diffuse some of the aggression, as some accounts I have read say that they spend more time working against the flow. Right now they are in a 180 filtered by 2 FX5's, which give a decent flow but I have the returns near the top of the tank. Any good suggestions on power heads to use to get the flow, or any other options that may provide the same effect?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I use the big blower-style pumps (SEIO, Hydor, etc) on my bigger tanks and Maxijets on my smaller tanks. I feel like it sort of keeps them in better shape, having to swim against some sort of current.

Jon you are the man!!! Make sure you protect those females and when you get a brood let us know. Awesome buy! I bet they weren't cheap.

TMSB805

Members
Nice pick up. Out of the 8 or so I've purchased over the last 4 months or so i'm down to only 2. The more i see pics of adults the less i'm liking these fish. Starting to lean more towards the Godmanni. Nonetheless, good luck with getting these guys to spawn for you.