• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Choosing a tank

Jim P

CCA Members
Discovering I really like having fish again, and going to get a somewhat bigger tank for a (hopefully) well aquascaped tank. To majorly avoid leaks or cracks etc, I’m wondering if there’s a particular brand or type of tank that‘s likely to be more failsafe tank-wise, or are most tanks pretty much the same.

And how safe is it to buy a used tank? (Anybody have a good 38, 40 high, 45 or 55 tall - with nice stand for sale? 36” wide)

Thanks,

Jim

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have never had a problem with any manufacturers of new tanks since I got back into the hobby in 2009. The only leakers I've had were on either used tanks that I bought (and I can't remember the manufacturer, but it was a 5 foot 120 gallon tank) or tanks that I cracked because of my own negligence.

Petco may still be having their $1 per gallon sale where 40 breeders are only $40!

mchambers

Former CCA member
I recently had a relatively new tank (5 years old) leak all over my basement. I was the only owner of the tank, which I won in a raffle sponsored by the manufacturer. I won't name the brand, because it's just one case, and I don't think it is evidence of anything.

I've had a couple of used tanks leak on me, but slowly, so that there wasn't much of a mess. I have 10 or so used tanks, however, and generally have had good luck with them.

Bottom line: any tank can leak.

Becca

Members
I've had new tanks leak within a year and used tanks that never dripped at all... it just depends.

That said, I've got this awesome 110 hexagon looking for a new home... It's a 6-footer, but would make a nice display.

F8LBITE

Members
My advice is go as big as you can afford because you'll just end up looking for a bigger tank when you fish get big in 4-6 months.

I read from another forum to avoid Deep Blue, which leaked on brand new within months. For quality, I heard that Oceanic is the best.

I personally owned Marineland, All Glass and Perfectal that range from 5, 15 to 30 year old, all brought brand new, and None leaked. If your tank is located in living area and you're paranoid about flooding, don't buy used tank that has no warranty and you are unsure of the condition.

lkelly

Members
My advice is to decide how many tanks you want then buy triple that amount because you'll just end up doing it before too long and that way you save gas.