• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Chinese Algae Eater

Lively

Members
I've heard when they get older they get more aggressive - I've never had a problem with mine. But, I mysteriously lost a couple of hundred fry... and this is the second "failure" in a row.

Anyone else have any comments on this?

Either way, it's coming out of the tank to go graze on different algae.

toddnbecka

Members
More lilkely the parents than the algae eater, though I wouldn't have one even if was free. BN pleco's are much more effective for keeping algae under control, and won't even eat thier own fry, much less baby cichlids.

Sonny Disposition

My dear old dad would pick up one of these from time to time. Almost invariably, it would grow big and start rearranging the tank. They are prolific diggers--doing more to rearrange the gravel than a male centrarchid in spawning mode.

Lively

Members
This guy isn't supposed to get that big, he's about 6" and from what I've read on them, fully grown. I've had him for about 2 years now and never had issues with him, but lately have noticed him being a bit more agressive. He isn't a common pleco - my brother in law made that mistake for us when he was keeping our tanks. Thing outgrew the 55g tank within a year.

I have a couple of bn's now - much happier with them!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
This guy isn't supposed to get that big, he's about 6" and from what I've read on them, fully grown. I've had him for about 2 years now and never had issues with him, but lately have noticed him being a bit more agressive. He isn't a common pleco - my brother in law made that mistake for us when he was keeping our tanks. Thing outgrew the 55g tank within a year.

I have a couple of bn's now - much happier with them!
they get to be 12" Stacy. check this out.
http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/asian-loaches/chinese-algae-eater/100056.asp

Lively

Members
Another case of too much misinformation on the web - now I'm certian that he's the cause of my missing fry. My cat might have a fresh fish dinner tonight! Sigh, I'll put him in with the bigger growouts, he can't eat them and there is tons of algae in there.

I have to break down the tank to catch him, he's extremely hard to catch even in a basically empty tank. That tank is getting a good cleaning today...