• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

CCA/ACA Convention acquisition report & etc....

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Of the twelve New World species/groups that came home with me last weekend (and that are now being tended by an indulgent colleague in my absence), have to say that the trio of green phantom Baryancistrus and the pair of unidentified Columbian pike are the coolest of the lot. The pike are well, pike. Ever prowling and predatory, the last lemon tetra in their 55 home didn't make it past the next morning.

The three groups of juvenile Geophagus, including red-headed and peach-faced Tapajos, are small, exuberant and fearless - very cool to see them schooling around, ever ravenous and alert for something to eat.

The five various groups of juvenile Apistos are still too small to be anything but pretty dull but they all seemed to be eating so that's good.

The Corydoars Secuono from Uruguay and the little herd of young Scleromystax barabatus are as diligent as might be expected and went straight to work scavenging.

Lastly, the group of five reddish Surinam angels adjusted surprisingly fast and well began eating like pigs. Pretty distinct reddish highlights in the dorsal fins, reckon it's only a matter of time before someone starts producing angels that are as red as Kenendy's are blue - have to believe that will be very very cool.

Probably spent too much but It's not like I have any other vices (or at least any that ought to be mentioned on an open forum), and hey, not like this event or many like it happen in our proverbial backyard every day.

If CCA ever does another one of these shows it might be worth considering lowering or even altogether waiving the rental price on tanks in the sale room. Could charge a percentage of sales instead and thus perhaps encourage a greater number of breeders to show up with fish. Just a thought, but at $20/tank per day (at least that's what I was told), one has be willing to gamble a bit on doing a pretty robust volume to make it worthwhile. I only offer this because I always find the in-room and rental room sales way more satisfying than the auctions in terms of price, species availability (at least for New World) and the simple fact of getting to jaw with whomever spawned whatever it is that's being sold.

Anyway - many many thanks to John and family as well as all the club officers and members who worked so hard to make it happen, and moreover happen well. My place isn't big enough to volunteer to host a barbecue next month - not to mention that I don't have a yard - but if Don Antonio and his lovely wife (whom he in no way deserves) step up and offer their own digs for same I will happily show up early and aid them in their preparations so the rest of you may just show up without any obligation to work anymore than you already have.

mscichlid

Founder
Nice pickup, Sam. Good luck with your fish. Hopefully, you'll have many spawns to share in the future.

I never made it to any of the rooms, but that's okay; too many fish as it is.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Drabbish and deadly?

Am working on it - let you know when/if I figure it out.

Ophelia77

Members
Avatar, I'd love to see some pics of these guys. I've read that the red coloring comes from carotene in their diet and can fade. Love to see how they are over time:)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Could be.

Will let you know if the red fades out after a few months as I don't believe their future diet will include much if any carotene.