Catfish help

69cichlids

Members
So right now I have 2 synodontis multipunctatus around 3-4", and 7 synodontis petricola around 1-3" in a tank...are these guys ok to be with each other for now? I'm redoing one of my tanks to get more hiding spots in it and thinking on putting the multi in that tank and then keeping the petricola there they are now and try to breed them. I'm guessing if I try now that there could be a possibility of getting hybrids..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

toddnbecka

Members
Should be fine together, but if the petricola are small ones it's going to be a year or two before they'll be mature enough to spawn. Highly unlikely they'd hybridize in any case, and even if they did the eggs/fry would be eaten unless you pulled them out and hatched/raised them yourself.

69cichlids

Members
I got 3 that are to small and 4 that are about 2-3 in, I was going to try that career bowl filled with black marbles and a clay pot over them

eden2020

Members
Multipunctatus

Sounds like fun to try to breed the petricola..

Depending on where you live I can solve one of your problems.. sell me you two Multis and there will be no issue with cross breeding.. LOL ;)

Good luck! Keep us posted..

-Marc and family..

69cichlids

Members
Lol well i same to keep them, wouldn't mind trying to breed them also haha but those guys are big enough to go into my cichlid community tank once I get some more hiding places first pic is half of the tank I want to put them in, I want to get ever other side kinda like this but need to go trout fishing again to get some more rocks lol. The other half I'll have smaller rocks maybe with more hiding spots for the guys. I'm bind right now with the wife cuz she wants me to down size on ask the tanks we got...and I want more for all the fish lol

uploadfromtaptalk1331648179553.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1331648326355.jpg

69cichlids

Members
I got a few questions on the synodontis pectoral, I read online to get this cats to breed you use black marbles in a container covered by a clay pot with a hole in it...could I use black beads? I'm having no luck finding black marbles and its starting to make me lose my marbles! Haha second online it says to feed these guys black worms? Are those the canadian worming get at walmart to go fishing with? Iv just been giving then blood worms...

minifoot77

Members
lol mature females have really wide bellies compared to males that is the only way i know and i use clear marbles its just harder to see the eggs

69cichlids

Members
I wonder if thats why online they say to use blue or black marbles just to be able to see the the eggs. I got them set up with one marble set up, what do you do with the eggs once they spray them?

minifoot77

Members
me and my girl (she is tho one with the fingernails to be able to pick up the marbles) sifted through the marbles with a dropper to blow the eggs off the marbles once all the marbles were removed the eggs went into a breeder net. when they started free swimming we feed everything crushed flake, golden pearls, first bites, and bbs. a week or so later they went into a bare bottom ten

69cichlids

Members
Well I have moved the catfish 2days ago into a 55 with half inch cichlids that is in our daughters room. I went to feed them today and seen a bunch off of spots in the jar of marbles so I took the marbles out and put an air stone in the jar. Hoping for the best but my luck none will survive.

Multipunctatus really need a group to feel comfortable. Two IMHO is not enough. I"d highly recommend either adding at least two to that group or selling them and sticking with petricola....