• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

CAS Year in Review

Jay

CCA Members
2016 was a year of transition for Cichlids Are Special. I began a change to my stock that will remain in-house. To stay in-house they must meet at least two of the following: 1) they must sell regularly, 2) they must spawn or else sell well enough to warrant the cost to continue to bring in more from a wholesaler, 3) they must get along with other fish in my in-house stock. This has resulted in many mbuna and Lake Victorians being discontinued from in-house stock. It also has started the process of opening more tanks to be use for grow outs of my remaining stock. As I develop more grow outs from my fry, I will be able to offer more 2.5-3.5” males from these grow outs. A few fish have already reached the goal of being able to produce males for their three week update. My goal is to get as many of my in-house fish to this point as possible in 2017.

In addition, when I order from my wholesalers, I will be able to offer special order list which contain many African Cichlds that do not meet two of the three points above or I just do not have the room to stock. My main wholesaler's list is growing all the time and often includes many rare types. If I find that a fish on that list is very popular or I think a new fish is likely to be very popular, I may add them in-house if I have room to do so. Keep in mind, however, as I develop more and more of my own fish from my in-house fry, there will be less need to order from my wholesalers resulting in fewer Special Order Lists. I will continue to post when these lists are available through the Newsletter and on my Cichlids Are Special Facebook Page as well as on this forum. When one of these list appears, be sure to grab the fish you want.

During 2016, I made a major shipping upgrade by switching to four box size options. These options, allow fish to be shipped for less cost then in the larger boxes used in the past. They also are holding up better in colder weather. My four box options now are: A) 11 x 11 x 6 box that can hold up to three 1” to 3.5” fish. The best way to get the most for your shipping cost on this size box,is to order three 2.5 to 3.5” males. B) 12 x 12 x 10 box which can hold either one 4” or larger fish or up to six 1” to 3.5” fish. The best way to get the most for your shipping dollars spent in this box is to buy either a six pack of 1” to 2.5” Sex Uncertain fish or six 2.5 to 3.5” fish. C) 12 x 12 x 10 or 12 x 12 x 12 box which can hold up to two 4” fish or nine 1” to 3.5” fish. The best way to get the most for your shipping dollar spent with these boxes is to order one six pack of 1” to 2.5” sex uncertain fish and three 2.5 to 3.5” fish or to order nine 2.5 to 3.5” fish. D) 18 x 18 x 10 Box. This box can hold up to three 4” or larger fish or sixteen 1” to 3.5” Fish. The best way to get the most for your shipping dollar spent on these boxes is to order Three 4” or larger fish or any combination of Sixteen 1” to 3.5” Fish.

Shipping is offered by Fed Ex or SWA Cargo. On Fed EX Home Delivery Ground orders, I am now able to offer shipping to arrive on a Saturday or evening delivery Monday through Friday at no additional charge. For these two services, you need to request them in the comments for your order. In 2016, I was able to bring back some Fed Ex Air services by partnering with another company in order to pass along up to 45% off Fed Ex's published rate on select air services. This will continue into 2017.

Going into 2017, Fed Ex made a major rate increase which will effect box sizes B and C the most. In addition, to raising their rates, they changed their dimensional weight formula which increases the minimum weight charge on all my boxes except box D. The largest price increases will effect air packages which may go up as much as $10 in some cases. If I find that I can get any better rates using UPS, I will consider offering them. To do this I have to have my web site developer set up a way for the site to capture UPS Rates and the cost to have him do this work will have to be weighted into any decision of this type.

So far SWA Cargo has not increased their rates. I prefer to ship SWA Cargo on Thursday or Friday Afternoon for delivery out of BWI the next morning using their runner service. I will do my best to work with you if you need an SWA Cargo shipment to go to the runner on Monday through Wednesday as well. I use primarily 18 x 18 x 10 Boxes for this type shipping.

Mondays through Wednesdays are generally my busy days due to shipping and tank maintenance. If you need a specific day for your fish to be shipped, please note that in the comments for your order. For Shipping orders, I need to have them before 8:00 pm. One day in advance of shipment in order to get them out the following day. In some cases shipping may be maxed out for a specific day and I will have to do shipping based on a first come first served basis for that specific day.

I have lowered my temperature guide lines for shipping. Cold weather shipping delays (below 33 F during the day and below 25 at night during the same 24 hour period, or below 40 F during the day and 20 F at night during the same 24 hour period.) often occur in January and February. If I find that I cam safely ship in lower temperature, I will update these numbers.

Local pick ups are best done in the afternoons on Thursday, Friday or Saturday most weeks. Occasionally, I can squeeze a local pick up in on a Monday through Wednesday afternoon or evening. I normally can do local pick ups on most Thursday, Friday, and Saturday around 7:00 to 7:30 pm. Please be sure to request the day and time for you local pick up at least 24 hours in advance.

I hope to deliver fish to as many CCA meeting as possible. On a CCA meeting Saturday, local pick ups will not be available if I am making a delivery to this club instead.

I plan to be at Aqua Mania in March with a table at the Marketplace.

I may do a table at the Keystone Klash which will be held in York this coming fall, probably for a few hours prior to their Sunday Auction.

New Policies for 2017 are as follows:

All cash at time of pick up orders must be picked up with-in seven business days or else a non-refundable 50% deposit will have to be paid for me to continue to hold your fish beyond seven business days.

Fish club delivery fish can be ordered up to two weeks in advance of the meetings. Cash on delivery rules above are extended an extra week, no need for a 50% deposit if you order two weeks in advance of a meeting.

SWA Cargo orders must be completed with-in 10 business days unless delayed due to weather problems in winter. A Pal Pal Invoice for the fish must be paid at least 24 hours prior to shipping. To hold a SWA order more than 10 Business days, a 50% non-refundable deposit will be required.

Weather delays will extend the time for the 50% deposit to go into effect. I do not ship or do local pick ups in bad weather (snow, sleet, ice, severe storms, etc.)