• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Carpintis... We have eggs?

Eyebedam

Members
Over the past few days they have basically rearranged the substrate into a hot mess. I got a text from my daughter saying they were citing all type of crazy in the corner & when I got home I looked & this is what I saw!
null_zpsd75b73b3.jpg

null_zps781993ea.jpg

null_zps6038ad8e.jpg

My question is, what should I expect over the next few days? If thee bad boys hatch I'm gonna try& see how I do at raising the fry.. I'm gonna set-up another tank tomorrow to try & grow them out.. I'm thinking of beginning with a sponge filter & trying to feed the fry golden pearls from kens fish.. I'd def appreciate any tips, advice or tricks of the trade.

Thanks
Jason.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Eggs usually take 2-4 days to hatch, depending on temperature among other things. The parents will then move the fry in to a pit in the substrate. They will become free swimming in about a week.

Good luck with them.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Eggs usually take 2-4 days to hatch, depending on temperature among other things. The parents will then move the fry in to a pit in the substrate. They will become free swimming in about a week.

Good luck with them.

+1, after the fry hatch, they won't be able to swim because they are still consuming their yolk sacks, at that stage they do not need to be fed. Once the fry are free swimming it is good to feed them a mixture of spirulina powder, ground up krilll, and ground up pellets, when the fry are free swimming they will be really teenie tiny so all there food needs to be ground to a fine powder. If there are other fish in the tank I would suggest moving the fry to a seperate 20 gallon, just because other fish and even the parents might eat them, if you feed them generously, do multiple water changes a week, and give them a large tank, they should grow roughly, 0.5 inches a month. So in 2-3 months the fry should be ready to sell.