• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Can't get my Apistos to spawn...

captmicha

Members
I can't get my A. cacatuoides to spawn. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Tank: 10 gallons, sand substrate, 4 small clay pots, driftwood, leaves, shade, live plants.

Fish:
2 males, 2 females A. cacatuoides
Male endlers as dither fish
One female killifish
Pygmy corydoras

Light: T8 strip that comes with regular hoods. Some filtered light from the window because I can't get the blinds to close all the way! There's shade in the tank as well and a screen of duckweed over at least half the surface.

Filtration: A diy box filter over rated for this size tank. Water flow is calm.

Nutrients: PMDD 2-3 times a week. I use a bit lower than the recommended dose for my size tank. I do tabs in the sand every month.

Chemistry (two readings means I can't tell the color difference):

pH 6.8
kH 2 degrees dKH/35.8 ppm
GH I really can't tell, I think 6 drops/107.4 ppm???
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Ammonia .25 ppm (tank is one day past due for a water change, the tank is a bit over stocked with endlers but it's temporary). It's usually at 0 ppm.

Diet: Baby red wigglers and grindals worms at least once a day, every other day. But I try for once a day, every day. Decapped artemia cysts. Kent Zooplankton. Repashy Spawn & Grow. NLS line of different formulas.

Maintenance: 25-50% water change once a week.

I'm including a picture of the tank, and then a picture where I got all four Apistos in one picture. Not great, but you can see coloration and hopefully confirm I've got them sexed correctly. I'm trying to get more females because I know a "harem" per each male is ideal.

photo3_zpsac747335.jpg

photo2_zpsd4fe215c.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sometimes I skip a water change, then do a big one (75% or more) to induce a spawn. I will also use cooler water during the water change.

captmicha

Members
Sometimes I skip a water change, then do a big one (75% or more) to induce a spawn. I will also use cooler water during the water change.

I tried that last time right before it snowed. I was trying to get the corys to spawn as well. :( Nothing.

JasonC

Members
10G is tiny for 4 Apistos, none the less adding in all the other fish you have in there... they may be feeling cramped. I would reduce the # of fish, or increase tank size. Maybe dump the corydoras (They will compete for the same tank level as the Apistos) and the killifish and all but about 4 or so of the endlers... and definitely consider pulling a male Apisto...maybe even a female too if they still dont act happy. If they cant feel secure in their own territory, there is no way they are going to breed..

captmicha

Members
I forgot temp info! It's been 75 degrees. I don't know if this is suitable or not.

I'm planning on a bigger tank for the Apistos when I have my fish room set up. I like all these SA small fish together but can switch tanks around if it'll help. The Apistos seem happy as far as I can tell. Just not breed happy.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ddavila06

Members
the female seems young.. just give them time but everything u mention seems very very good for getting them in the mood.