• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

can anyone help me i.d this jag either its male or female

blkmjk

Members
Top looks female to me and bottom to be a male. How big are they? That bottom one has the tall back that I have seen on most males.

Drew

blkmjk : they are 7inch..the body pattern look same to me..when referring to google always show the results they are the same gender..what are the best size to i.d the gender for this jag

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

blkmjk

Members
7 inches is plenty long. To me the reason I say the top is a lady is because she has no marking on her belly but dark marking above the lateral baring. The male below has no markings above or below the baring giving him the more even look across the body. Typical on most males IME. But I am no expert on fish sex. Maybe someone with more experience can hop on and give a better response.

Drew

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Do not know their history but if one is male and one is female and the conditions are right, they would have spawned by now, imho. I have heard of jags spawning at smaller size. That would indicate that they are both the same sex.

blkmjk

Members
Do not know their history but if one is male and one is female and the conditions are right, they would have spawned by now, imho. I have heard of jags spawning at smaller size. That would indicate that they are both the same sex.
Agreed how long have they been housed together?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
TO ME THEY LOOK FEMALE W/ THE BARRING. MALES HAVE ALOT MORE SPOTTING ESPECIALLY BY 7" IN MY EXPERIENCE. I COULD BE WRONG BUT IM SAYING YOU HAVE TWO FEMALES. ALSO AS FRANK SAID THEY SHOULD HAVE SPAWNED ANYWHERE FROM 3-4" SIZE BY NOW. HAVE YOU FLIPPED THEM OVER AND TAAKEN A LOOK AT THERE GENITALIA?

TO ME THEY LOOK FEMALE W/ THE BARRING. MALES HAVE ALOT MORE SPOTTING ESPECIALLY BY 7" IN MY EXPERIENCE. I COULD BE WRONG BUT IM SAYING YOU HAVE TWO FEMALES. ALSO AS FRANK SAID THEY SHOULD HAVE SPAWNED ANYWHERE FROM 3-4" SIZE BY NOW. HAVE YOU FLIPPED THEM OVER AND TAAKEN A LOOK AT THERE GENITALIA?

never do that..they are being together just a few weeks..bought them together from LFS..but one them being alone in the corner and always spit out the sand around him/her..

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app