• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

buttikoferi

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hi, does any one have any information on these guys, I have a 6 inch one that I've had since he was 1 inch (6 months ago).SDC10960.jpg

SDC10960.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Surprisingly, he get's pushed around by my 5 inch male texas cichlid. Other than that he basically rules the tank.

dogofwar

CCA Members
They can get 16"+...territorial / mean as heck...pretty undemanding in terms of water parameters...omnivorous... They're Tilapia!

Matt

Great fish definitely has an attitude and can hang with the other big bruisers out there. i currently have one thats about 8 inches that has been with dovii, jags, big redtail and tsn. i remember reading somewhere that they possess some of the most powerful jaws in the fish world...

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
wow, I never knew there bite was that strong, mine currently lives with an 8 inch jag and they are fine together.

spazmattik

Members
wow, I never knew there bite was that strong, mine currently lives with an 8 inch jag and they are fine together.

If your bit, prepare for stitches.. or so I've read. Smart fish too. I have read threads on these guys playing tug of war and playing with ping pong balls and what not. The one i had use to swim over to the corner of the tank to watch us watch tv lol. Kinda creepy sometimes. Yours has some nice thick bands and looks great by the way.

greekz

Members
can you tell the difference from a male and female? I had one that was about 10" would eat like a pig ended up rehoming. Not too aggressive thou probably because the haps/peacocks were no threat.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Capitol Aquarium in Sacramento used to board a giant one (supposedly owned by an MLB player) that was every bit of 16" and 3-4" thick.

It was alone after allegedly biting the head off of its companion pleco.

I've never kept them...

Matt

If your bit, prepare for stitches.. or so I've read. Smart fish too. I have read threads on these guys playing tug of war and playing with ping pong balls and what not. The one i had use to swim over to the corner of the tank to watch us watch tv lol. Kinda creepy sometimes. Yours has some nice thick bands and looks great by the way.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
thanks guys, that information helped alot. He actually has bit me before, and I have the scar to prove it. More pics of him/her coming soon.