• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Buffing scratches

daninmd

Members
Not really applicable to polish scratches at home. Acrylic yes, but glass is a much more difficult process and more difficult. It would be easier and cheaper to just replace the tank unfortunately.

Ading522

Members
been reading about buffing glass aquariums on google.. and a compound called cerium oxide seems to be beneficial..its harmless to fish and has been used on surfaces scratches that result from a razor blade or similar.. any scratch that cannot be felt with your fingernails seem to be buffed out good..

dshaffer3

Members
A corded drill is a must. How that thick is the glass? What are the dimensions of the tank? They sell a pretty good kit on Amazon.

Jmty

Members
You have to know what you doing on glass , be prepare to trash that tank as practice is the mother of perfection
Learn to ignore that little scratch

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ading522

Members
it isnt just one.. it is a little many..although you would forget its there because of the fish colors.. can't just trash a 220 .. ;)

daninmd

Members
Let us know how it works. Didn't work well for me and tossed the tank. Took along time and results were poor.

Ading522

Members
Let us know how it works. Didn't work well for me and tossed the tank. Took along time and results were poor.

will definitely practice on a scrap tank first before i try it on the 220.. wouldnt want to waste it.. or..i may just learn to forget its even there.. hehe..

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Have you filled the tank and viewed the scratches with water in the tank? You'd be surprised how much will go away...

Ading522

Members
Have you filled the tank and viewed the scratches with water in the tank? You'd be surprised how much will go away...

Yes I did..the smaller scratches disappeared but there are some prominent ones..although they cannot be felt with a fingernail..so they could be buffed out..just not confident to try it now inexperienced..

Or turn it around (put the scratchier side on the back)...

Matt

Would like to..however, the tank is drilled with overflows..can.t remove some of the leftover coraline since it was a previous saltwater setup..but that's fine..the only ones remaining are on the overflow..and I heard they die off since I am running freshwater..

daninmd

Members
i have a 10 gallon tank that leaks. you can have it if you want for free, and proceed to scratch it up and see if you can buff them out.

Ading522

Members
i have a 10 gallon tank that leaks. you can have it if you want for free, and proceed to scratch it up and see if you can buff them out.

Thanks for the offer Dan! But I have a 20 high with scratches that I can try to practice on..appreciate it though..thanks a lot..

Ading522

Members
Will do my best.. but for now, would maybe wait.. the fish have to be transferred in..it already took a while scrubbing that coraline off with a lot of elbow grease..might post pics or blog about it..