• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Buccochromis Nototaenia

maddog10

Members
Been wanting to get a photo of this guy for some time now, not the best background (all of my tanks have lots of sponge filters running). This shot at least shows most of his color. When he is displaying he gets black fins and the bottom 1/4" - 1/2" of his body turns black.

Bucco-1.jpg

maddog10

Members
Nice looking fish Mike. He is really "neat". :cool:

(Talk to me about Neat Image though :wink: )[/b]

It is actually the first time I posted a picture using it, can't get the hang of it. I just used the D80 profile and let it clean it up automatically.

maddog10

Members
Been wanting to get a photo of this guy for some time now, not the best background (all of my tanks have lots of sponge filters running). This shot at least shows most of his color. When he is displaying he gets black fins and the bottom 1/4" - 1/2" of his body turns black.

Bucco-1.jpg
[/b]

OK, went back and started from scratch (read a few of the directions in NEAT) would you say this looks better, worse or same?
Bucco-1x.jpg

Not to hijack your handasome Proto pic. Sorry.

But NI should be used in a very subtle way. I seldom use it. And when I do, I use the very minimum effects. Just another "cheating" tool that works as a blurr, but magnifies the pixels imo. So you get intense blur to eliminate noise. Result can provide a pasty effect. Sort of like taking a flat stick and spreading the paint on the canvas, but the dust is still there. :pound:

I was typing my last reply as you were reposting your image.

My only suggestion would be to correct the oversharpness you have here. The noise may be the result of trying to make the image too sharp. Use the noise reduction tools only if you if your ISO is too high for the proper exposure. When using flash, it normally is not an issue.

I have a feeling that this shot looks better before the NI workflow effects. :wink:

maddog10

Members
I haven't used it (until now) for that very reason. It smooths the photo over too much and I have not been able to make it work like I want it to. You should have seen what it did to my poor dog!

I used it here because this was the best photo I had of this fish (to date) and it showed his colors pretty well. The original is pretty "grainy" and that is what I was trying to clean up. Unfortunately it rubbed his forehead out in the process.
At least I finally got the camera out again! Baby steps.....

When I finally get the fish room done, I will be able to shut-off and/or remove the sponge filters, clean the glass and with a little patience I should be able to get some better shots.

Bottom line...nice fish.

I'd love to spend a whole day in your fishroom with you and your camera when it is set up the way you want it. Great photo ops for me, and perhaps you too. :smile:

maddog10

Members
Bottom line...nice fish.

I'd love to spend a whole day in your fishroom with you and your camera when it is set up the way you want it. Great photo ops for me, and perhaps you too. :smile:
[/b]
Anytime! Word of advice -- bring the 60mm, little tight for the 105. Used the 105mm for this shot and had to be positioned off to the side (part of my problem)

Hey Mike, after looking at the original, perhaps too underexposed. Need more flash. Looks like the fish was too far back in the tank for an adequate exposure imo.

This is a typical "reshoot scenario" imo.

I now have both, 60mm and 105mm. There is no doubt in my mind that the 60mm is more versatile...and sharper!!!!! At least for our fish photos. :smile:

maddog10

Members
I just had the remote flash firing to soft. Went from shooting ina 40Long to a 75 which is a little bit deeper. That was the first shot in the 75, forgot to reset the flash to a stronger setting.

D

daniel4832

Didn't understand 99% of what you two were talking about :unsure: , but that is one good looking fish!
Thanks,
Daniel

maddog10

Members
Well it looks like I might have babies on the way! I am going to wait a little bit and move the female to her own tank.
Six 6" fish in a 75 gallon tank, who woulda thunk it!!