• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

breeding

fweed

Members
Is there a best way to determine when a fish is ready fro breeding? If so what are the main things that you would look for other then waiting for them to start doing to mating dance?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Depends on the type of fish and method of spawning. Fish should be conditioned for breeding by feeding them good food, but some fish will spawn regardless. Definitely need more info on type of fish to get an accurate answer here though.

fweed

Members
I have a group pf bi colors and a group of kenyi that I want to start breeding. Right now.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Plenty of food, especially live or frozen food to fatten up the breeders prior to spawning. Kenyi should breed in a community tank without any problems. The peacocks might be hesitant to spawn depending on tankmates. They do much better in a tank by themselves. Make sure you have a few flat rocks or caves for suitable spawning sites. Large water changes can sometimes trigger fish to spawn. The best you can do is "prepare" them for spawning, the rest they have to take care of on their own.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Also raising water temp to 80-82 can help as well if its not already in that range. Just keep an eye on them, with higher temps comes higher metabolism and aggression.

YSS

Members
You can't rush nature. They will start breeding when they are ready. All you can do is feed them well and take good care of them. When I had my first african tank (55g), my fish never bred, but I never took good care of them (which I didn't know at the time). I got a 125G tank and started taking good care of the fish, and I could not stop them from breeding.

maddog10

Members
FIRST thing you have to have is males AND females :D

Like Michael stated, Kenyi will spawn anywhere and everywhere.

Provide the flat rocks like he stated as well. I left my temps at 77-78 and had plenty of spawns. I never really liked keeping temps above 78, but that is just personal preference.

Then just sit back and wait. You can't make them do something they do not want (just like my brother's kids).

Lively

Members
FIRST thing you have to have is males AND females :D

Like Michael stated, Kenyi will spawn anywhere and everywhere.

Provide the flat rocks like he stated as well. I left my temps at 77-78 and had plenty of spawns. I never really liked keeping temps above 78, but that is just personal preference.

Then just sit back and wait. You can't make them do something they do not want (just like my brother's kids).

(that explains things... lol)

I'm in the same boat, fweed. I have several tanks that I know the fish are old enough - and there is sparring going on - but nada for anything more.

If I remember correctly, out last speaker suggested doing a large water change with cooler water just before a storm front moves in (day before) and adding water from a tank that has spawning fish in it (hormones and such in the water) That was for cory's but I can see validity in using it for other fish as well!