• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breeding Sensations

mscichlid

Founder
If you are into breeding fish and you have a pair of rare, expensive fish that are difficult to encourage to spawn and they do, would you be more likely to tell anyone/everyone you know, or do you become superstitious and not tell anyone until the fry are free-swimming?

How do you handle it?

Cartel

Members
Im the kind of person that doesnt like to say anything unless im sure. So I would hold out until they are big enough that I feel "safe" they are going to make it. Thats just me though and iv been know to be weird....

Jumbie

Members
I would tell only a select few people and ask them to keep it confidential until the dry are free swimming and at a decent size. Once they are free swimming, good size and doing well I would enlighten everyone. I would defiantly take pictures for proper documentation and proof.

Why do you ask Francine…..did you happen to accomplish the un-accomplishable:confused0083:? HUH…HUH…HUH…LOL.:D

longstocking

Members
wel... in my case I would wait three days to make sure they are even fertile. Then I would only tell a group of about 5 people. Then... if I get them to 1 inch I tell the world :)

Been through this a couple times..... one time I just couldn't wait. There were a bunch of us with the same fry.... it was kind of a race to see who would spawn them first. It took two years and I was first to spawn them :)

i had to rub it in .... lol.... all guys and the girl spawned them first :lol:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I've gotten my hopes up and told people a couple times now with different females holding and either spitting early or swallowing the fry/eggs.

Until they're free swimming and taking food, I'd probably just keep it on the DL and tell the couple of folks that frequent my fish room.

bertolli

Members
the lamp callirus i bought from one of our members spawned, i saw fry in the shell but they havent been out yet... not sure how rare they are but i had never seen or heard of them until i decided to buy them.

Sonny Disposition

I would wait until the fry were big enough for me to take pictures before I tell anybody. The last time I told people about eggs, the parents ate them.

Same thing for articles. Never say anything about an article until it comes out. Editors often fail to follow through.

If you are into breeding fish and you have a pair of rare, expensive fish that are difficult to encourage to spawn and they do, would you be more likely to tell anyone/everyone you know, or do you become superstitious and not tell anyone until the fry are free-swimming?

How do you handle it?

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
If it's something special, I keep a lid on it... I tend to jinx myself. Just like the new fish I'm getting that only one or two of you know about, I won't tell the masses until I have them here and they are settled in and doing well... then I'll introduce them to everyone. I do the same thing when anything special is about to happen, be it fish, work, family... Everytime I start bragging, the unthinkable happens :(

Great thread by the way ;)

BevN

Members
I would tell Lonny. I've had things spawn and eat the eggs or the fry vanish. We have adoketa that have spawned a number of times. I'll let the world know if they ever produce a spawn with more than 2 survivors.

If I put the word out that they had spawned all over I'd be swarmed with people wanting to order them.