• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

breeding observations and questions.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
ok i have been involved with trying to breed my fish since january. my first sucess was convicts followed by red jewels, and then with my jack dempsey. i have noticed little things that have caused me to experiment a bit and too ask even more questions. hopefully you can help me out here with a few answers. the convicts we all know will breed in the bag on the way home if given the chance. now the red jewel was a little more private wanting to be alone from everyone to have there babies. lastly the jack dempseys spawned 2xs in a community tank without success so i moved them to a 75g alone for a month and nothing happens. i put them back into a community tank and PRESTO! we have eggs and 3 days later wigglers. im dumbfounded by this. one would tend to think that they would lay eggs all day in their own tank, but this wasnt the case at all rather the complete opposite. what have you guys noticed with your fish? any patterns or pointers?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Sounds like you've got some exhibitionists! I don't have a lot of experience with the larger Americans, but it might be a comfort issue. Did you use water from their original tank? Were there similar spawning sites available in the new tank? Sometimes the stress of moving to unfamiliar surroundings can make them "not in the mood."