• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breeding/keeping Tropheops

npbarca

Members
Has anyone kept or bred tropheops? From what I've read they seem very similar to mbuna. Anyone have any firsthand experience?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I thought tropheops ARE mbuna. Shawn Leffler did a BAP presentation on his breeding of tropheops sp. red cheek. If I remember correctly, he kept them like most mbuna are kept.

verbal

CCA Members
I kept Tropheops sp "Elongatus Boadzulu" which is on the list from Dave's fish. I kept a group in a 30 breeder(same footprint as a 40 breed). They bred for me and weren't overly aggressive. I am not sure if the whole genus is on the milder side or just that species.

They are a nice fish, a little different I definitely recommend them.

I am pretty sure they are harder to keep than mbuna, I read up on them a little while ago

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

As Jon stated Tropheops are mbuna. You are probably thinking of Tropheus. I made that mistake the first time I saw the name also.

verbal

CCA Members
I keep Saulosi right now, and it seems the two are very similar. Thanks Jesse and Jon.

I don't think you need to do anything dramatically different between keeping Tropheops and Saulosi. Bigger size of the tropheops(but they don't get huge) is really going to be the main difference in keeping them.