• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breaking Rocks

ezrk

Members
So wendyfish and I are getting ready to set-up a new tank...We have found some pretty good looking rock we want to use but they are pretty large. Mostly this is fine, but for aquascaping and cave making it would be nice to have a selection of smaller pieces.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to smash up a couple of our larger rocks into pieces? it is reasonably tough stone so jsut dropping it on cement won't do it...

Travis

Members
I had good luck throwing them off the stoop onto the sidewalk. Quickest way to break them.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I BROKE UP SOME LARGE MARBLE PIECES AND QUARTZ WITH A HAMMER AND GOGGLES ...TOOK A FEW HITS IN SAME PLACE BUT IT WORKS EASILY.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Another way to do it... if you don't have safety glasses would be to wrap the rock in an old towel and hit it with a hammer.

ezrk

Members
I bought a small sledgehammer and a mason's chisel. Probably will do it tomorrow, will post before and after pictures.

ezrk

Members
Looks good. Where did you pick up the rock?

Garden and Landscaping place in Reston, Meadows Farm. The one in Reston was better than the others (we went to 3-4, including a couple other Meadows Farms).

We bought 8-10 football sized rocks each were about $7.